2019/2020 189trx with zlock jack plate and 150 pro xs.

I have a 2020 trx 189 with zlock jackplate and 150 pro xs. When I took it out to break it in, it was clearly not setup correctly. Curious if anyone has pad to prop measurements or pictures of how theirs is setup. Just trying to get mine close in the garage before i go back to lake.

2. Member
    Start around 3.5-3 inches ptp I’ve got the 175 4 stroke and I’m around 3-2.75 ptp

3. Member
    Keep in mind for break in you’re supposed to have the motor set low. After you get your 10 hours on it, 3 inches PTP is the sweet spot in most cases.

4. Member
    Yea. I am with you on that. While breaking it in it seemed like it was setup way to high. And it was. I have adjusted it and will run it again. I am going to post my exact setup once I get it dialed in. Just looking for some guidance to get started. Engine was mounted from factory four holes down straight to transom. Dealer mounted to jack plate four holes down. So I can only lower motor about one more inch before being out of space, after the adjustment today. Fortunately I am sitting at 3.25 ptp right now after today’s adjustment. I think it will run much better. Thanks for the info.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T_Huff189 View Post
    Start around 3.5-3 inches ptp I’ve got the 175 4 stroke and I’m around 3-2.75 ptp
    Curious as to what prop and pitch you have and your top speed? My 2020 TRX189 w/ the 175 came from the factory with a 24" Tempest (with no jackplate). After break-in I was only turning 5150 rpm's (Merc Vessel View) with 59 MPH. I switched to a 21" and I'm now hitting 5900 rpm and 61 MPH. Planning on installing a 6" jackplate within the next month or two. Thanks!

I've got a zlock 6" jackplate and I'm sitting 3.25 PTP and I'm satisfied with it. I have a 18xs w/150 pro xs. I want to try a 22 but only want to try it 1st before buying LOL! I currently have a 21" on it
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

7. Member
    So I took it out and it ran ok, but still not perfect. Dropped it to 4 ptp, and was too much. But this jack plate is the biggest pain. I am taking boat back to dealer tomorrow and have them remove it and just attach motor directly to boat like it was from the factory. I find this jack plate very hard to adjust, doesn't want to stay even on both sides. I tried all the tricks. Not worth the hassle, in my opinion. Obviously this jack plate works for many others, but just not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeadam71 View Post
    So I took it out and it ran ok, but still not perfect. Dropped it to 4 ptp, and was too much. But this jack plate is the biggest pain. I am taking boat back to dealer tomorrow and have them remove it and just attach motor directly to boat like it was from the factory. I find this jack plate very hard to adjust, doesn't want to stay even on both sides. I tried all the tricks. Not worth the hassle, in my opinion. Obviously this jack plate works for many others, but just not my cup of tea.
    I would agree it takes just a little time to move but once you lock it down, it shouldn't move at all.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

9. Member
    So fortunately I purchased the boat from a very helpful dealer. We have left the jack plate on and I have it adjusted at around 3.25. Gonna run the boat for a bit and then make adjustments.

10. Member
    I forgot to mention some relevant information. I am running a tempest 21 prop.

11. Member
    I wouldn't remove the plate, once you get it adjusted to the height thats right for your boat, you won't have to fool with it anymore.
    So fortunately I purchased the boat from a very helpful dealer. We have left the jack plate on and I have it adjusted at around 3.25. Gonna run the boat for a bit and then make adjustments.

12. Member
    Dealership figured out the wrong part was used inside the prop. The plastic piece that goes inside next to thrust washer. I noticed a bunch of play in the prop. So my next question for everyone is. Do you have the holes open or closed on your prop?

13. Member
    Alright 4 inches ptp boat runs 55 mph (gps) at 6100 rpms (stock gauge). Prop is 21 tempest. Max trim.

14. Member
    I forgot to mention some relevant information. I am running a tempest 21 prop.
    That prop should give you a great Holeshot and decent top end. A good all around choice
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support