stop Genesis live files from uploading to my sd card

I have hds carbon9,use Navionics Platinum for chart and sonar.
    my system apparently automatically loads Genesis Live files on my card also, which i dont need/use.
    anyone no anyway to keep this from happening?
    thanks
    john

Turn off Genesis Live on the overlay menu?

A Navionics map should be incompatible with GL, though. Is the Navionics map in a slot of the Carbon display unit you are talking about?

Or, is the Navionics card in a different display unit, and a different card, where GL is being written in the Carbon unit you are talking about?

3. Member
    thanks for reply 188.
    i dont think genesis is on overlay menus that same overlay where weather and structure is?
    yes GL is not navionics compatible, i never us them, but they get recorded on my data file.
    the Navionics card is in slot closest to display, my other sd card is outbound from this.
    i wonder if it is automatically recorded to encourage subscribing to the c map genesis ?
    thanks
    john

It should be on the same menu tab as structure overlay, heat map, weather, etc.

How did you realize the GL files were being written on the Navionics card?

The only way GL files should be written on a card is if GL is selected on the overlay menu tab, you have a valid depth reading on that particular unit, the speed is under 23 mph, and have a MicroSD card inserted. If I remember correctly, if you have two MicroSD cards in the unit, you will be prompted to select which card to write the files to.

Selecting your Navionics map on the map selection, the GL overlay option should not be available for selection.

The only way I see to write files on that particular card, is if you have selected the Lowrance map on the Carbon unit, or another GL compatible map from/in the slot of another display unit of your network, and have selected GL overlay, as well as told the unit to write the files to the slot the Navionics card is in.

If you had done this just once in the past, the files will stay there until you remove them.

Since the files written will only be so big before GL will start a new one, and will start a new file after every time the criteria is un-met, like exceeding 23 mph, is there an increasing number of files on the card every time you use the unit?

5. Member
    thanks 188
    GL files are not on the Nav sd card, they are noted on My Files sd card in the adjacent slot.
    yes they seem to appear on every trip i takeout i will have to be more diligent and see what circumstances they appear.
    there is probably a setting somewhere that is causing this.
    these files are not causing any problems or restrictions of using the nav card as far as i can see.
    when i take out sd cards and put in my computer and open the folder, that is where i see a list of genesis files.
    they have zero bytes in the files.
    i send them to trash on Apple Mac.
    john

6. Member
    Without a map card installed, the GL files only seem to write when you turn on that overlay. But over the weekend I started playing with Reefmaster to make my own maps. When I load one of these maps on my Carbons, they are writing a single GL file. I’m thinking this has something to do with how the software operates (18.3) to read these map files.

If you don’t delete the GL file, does it make a new one every time you boot up your unit, or does it just leave that one there until you delete it, and then make a single new file?

7. Member
    thanks pike troller.
    yes it seems to write a new GL file after every boot up.
    but i will be more diligent now and check it after boot up, then check the storage settings, see if a gl file has been created.
    cant get to boat till this weekend, but i will report back.
    thanks
    john

8. Member
    Yeah, it's odd......

Due to this thread, out of curiosity, I looked at the map card (Lowrance Lake Pro V16) in one of my Carbon units (Pages > Storage > Memory Card), and there are a bunch of Genesis Live files on the card. The files are .gsd file types - example file name = GenesisLive_28.05.2020.21.44.30.gsd, with the first three sets of numbers being the date. ALL the files are 0 bytes, like they were created when the unit was powered on but contain nothing.

I have never turned on Genesis Live....hell, I don't know how!! This particular Carbon unit is and always has been used for mapping only (i.e. no transducer has ever been hooked up to it). It is, however, networked to another Carbon unit (via NMEA 2000 only), if that plays into anything. I don't think it does, as the example file above was created today when the mapping unit was powered on - the boat was in the garage and the sonar unit was never powered up (but the NMEA network was). My other boat is up at Mille Lacs, so can't check those cards

Guess I'll just make it a habit to delete all the .gsd files off my mapping cards every so often.