Pitching, froggin, and all around use

Im looking for a St Croix rod I can pitch jigs and soft plastics with (maybe rigged up with 1/4-1/2oz weight), frog with, and get some all around use.

I've narrowed it down to either a Legend Elite 7'6" MH MF (designed specifically for pitching) or a 7' Legend Elite M.

I realize the 76 would be better suited for pitching because of the length, and possibly the power, but 7 seems better suited for working a frog and casting accuracy in general.
    Although Medium power is generally not suited for heavy cover, the heaviest I'll be dealing with is overlapping lily pads.

If it was another manufacturer, this would be a no brainer, but given St Croix are generally more powerful than the rating indicates, I assume the medium will be closer to a medium heavy.
    Can anyone confirm that? Is the 7' Elite medium(heavy-ish?)
    Is it capable of light pitching?
    If so, I would get more versatility out of that rod.

Im also concerned the 76 MH would feel closer to a heavy, and I really dont want a heavy power rod, if MH will get the job done.
    Then again, the 76 is a moderate fast action, so it might not feel heavier, unlike other St Croix fast/extra fast. Does anyone have the 76 elite pitching rod? What power does it feel like? Is it versatile (maybe for cranks cuz of the action)?

Or, has anyone found success pitching / frogging with a 7’ M in another line?

Any guidance is much appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by Bassman473; 05-23-2020 at 10:51 PM.

2. Member
    Shameless bump. I’m told I need to order a rod soon, or I won’t get it for this summer.

3. Member
    I have owned both of the rods you are considering and suggest you try the 7' MH. In my hands the 7'6" mhmf was the most frustrating rod I've ever owned. I loved the way it handled pitching duties but I could not keep fish pinned. Never had a rod I lost more fish on. The 7'm is a great little Tx rig rod for lighter weights say 3/16oz but would be overmatched with a 1/2oz wt and would not work at all for Frogs in my opinion.

4. Member
    I’m a firm believer in the bigger the better for a Frog Rod. If you are going to use it for three techniques then 7ft makes more sense to me.
    Red Sox in 6!

i used 6 mojo "pitching" 7'6" , frog, pitching, swimbait, spinnerbait, chatterbait, buzzbait, texas rig. im not saying thats all i use them for or that i dont have a texas rig rod with lighter line on a plastics rod, but i use that 7/6" as a anything rod all the time
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    I think the 7’4 model would do everything you want. The M is a very nice pitching rod but isn’t enough for frogs and is taxed at 1/2oz
    Nitro z21