Thread: Sawyer Area

Sawyer Area

As long as it’s all clear I have a family trip planned for the last week of July in the Sawyer area. It’s an Airbnb so I guess we’re just waiting to hear if we’ll still be able to come up from St.Louis. If so, I’d love to get my son on some smallmouth. Can anyone tell me if we can find any decent smallmouth (or largemouth) within an hour of the Sawyer area? We will most likely have to wade or bank fish. I’m not bringing the boat...
    Thanks

It will be tough without a boat, only going to public access sites. For smallies close to Sawyer, drive to down town Niles and hit the island on the St. Joseph River. It is a walk in location but plenty of fish in the area, some size too. Green pumpkin tubes, red flat sided cranks(smaller ones) Jackall craws on a jig will get 'er done!
    I am not delusional,
    I see all illusions!

3. Member
    July and August are prime time for wet wading the bigger creeks and smaller rivers for smallmouth. The St. Joe will be way to big for that, but spend some time on google earth looking at the smaller tributaries to the St. Joe, and if you find some that have rocky areas, it's game on. If you expand your range to a two hour drive, there's some good water for this up in the Grand Rapids area.

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys

5. Member
    I was google Earthin’ and looking around the Benton Harbor areas like the Paw-Paw. Anything worth a shot up that way?