2003 250 xb ot652817

trying to find out what torque master lower unit I have so I can order a forward gear

2. Member
    Gen 1

3. Member

gen1 torque master

is all the gen 1 the same as long its a 1.75 ,, does anyone happen to know the numbers on the forward gear

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will need to know if it is the ORIGINAL gearcase with a 2-piece driveshaft, or a later gearcase with a one-piece driveshaft. There are some considerable differences in the propshaft/gear/clutch dog.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    it is 2piece shaft

6. Member
    likely on 03 with 2 piece shaft its original, check that lower drive shaft seal area bad about rusting ,high carbon steel
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be a Gen-1 (and an EARLY Gen-1 at that) Torquemaster Gearcase. Probably also has a 1" Propshaft Spine (uses a standard Flo-Torq-II Hub kit).

As Joe mentioned, the driveshafts tended to pit and rust near the driveshaft seals. And there are some differences in those early cases (with the smaller 1" propshaft).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor