2005 225 Optimax SN 1b073280 trim motor seal

Hello all, I replaced a rusted out tilt trim motor (cylinder is ok) and I can't seem to find a new o-ring for the tilt motor or the right OEM part number. I was thinking of using RTV but I don't want to get debris in the pump. I have some gasket material and I could cut one out, but I think I would rather use the right part.

2. Member
    Every mercury trim motor I’ve purchased has had a new o-ring in the box, are you sure there’s not one still in the package that you missed? Otherwise I would think a mercury dealer, hydraulic shop, or specialty rubber/gasket/o-ring shop would be able to match it up quite readily.

3. Member
    Yeah I double checked the box - it wasn't included. I used an after market motor. Mercury parts catalog only sells a full seal kit part 878408A1. It's quite expensive when I just need one o-ring. I took it apart this morning and bought a few o-rings off mcmaster, but I'm just making a guess at the size, diameter, and material type.

I hope I am missing something obvious.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated above, the replacement o-ring is included in the OEM Trim Motor Kit, or the seal kit. It's not sold separately.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    You all were right. I ordered a 2.75" viton o-ring from mcmaster and it was a good fit. Trim leak has stopped. I should've used the OEM part. I will next time. Thank you to everyone who replied.