Thread: Trim question

Trim question

Hi everyone. I have a trim question but first a little background. I have a 99 javelin renegade 18. It was powered by a 150hp ficht but I finally lost the computer for good and repowered the boat with a 2005 johnson 115 4stroke. Got a very good deal on it, hard to pass up. The motor setup between the 2 motors is completely different. My old motor I could run on the jackplate pretty high and maintain psi and had great performance. The new motor I just had to drop the jackplate all the way down so I could get some bow lift. Before dropping the new motor down it had almost zero bow lift and I couldn't add any trim or it would blow out with every prop I tried. By dropping the motor down I now have good bow lift and I can now trim all I want and max out my trim gauge and keep trimming. My question is should I raise the motor some now? Like 1/2"? I have 2 props I'm running right now. One is a solas 4 blade stainless 21p and the other is a 23p hustler aluminum. The 23p actually seems to run better without hitting the limiter. Would like to try a 23p 4 blade but apparently those are not common for 4.25 gearcase. Top speed with both props is about 46-47 mph. Thanks for any info from you folks. Sorry for the long post

2. Pat Goff
    That motor is built by Suzuki, and it's got a funny gear ratio, which makes finding the right prop a little tricky, but you've already discovered that.

Rule #1 on boat setup, take it too far and bring it back. You need to spend the time finding what too high and also what too low is. You dropped it and picked up performance, did you drop it enough? did you drop it too much? Dunno, and neither will anyone else.

With your regular load (never light) move it up until you lose lift, speed or water pressure. 1/4" at a time, then you'll know exactly what too high is, and you can bring it back to the 1/4" that's perfect.

And that would be for the prop you have on now, change props and everything changes with it, no two are exactly identical.

And I wouldn't waste time on an aluminum wheel.

Not much of a fan of any solas prop, if you want to step it up, Power tech makes some dang good wheels that will work on that Zuke.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>