200hp efi throttle positioning sensor.

serial # 06938619
    1999 200hp efi
    My throttle positioning sensor alarm is sounding off. Replaced it with a used one. Same problem. Is there a way to test the sensor.
    Or is there something else I should check?
    Thanks.

2. Member
    Not aware of a TPI alarm. If you are getting a steady tone it will be an overheat alarm. If it is a beeping tone, it is a low oil, motion sensor or oil warning module failure. When ever you change a TPI you must have the TPI test harness hooked up to a digital meter and must disconnect the port side cyl head temp sensor wires in order to adjust it to spec. .200-.300 ohms at idle position. The desired setting is .250 ohms. They can be difficult to adjust.

3. Member
    Thanks for the advice. Found a chart online that said it was TPS. alarm. It is a continues beep beep beep beep. nonstop when I try to start eng.
    I may be in over my head. lol.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't rely on that chart as there are several items that can cause that warning.

Moving thread to the 2.5L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    My boat is in the shop. I'll update when they find the problem.

Thanks.