Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ranger RT198P or Vexus AVX1980

Hey guys, first off I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice. I'm looking at buying a new boat. I'm coming from a 2017 tracker pro guide 175 combo with a 115hp 4s. I think i got it narrowed down to 2 boats. The ranger rt198p or the avx1980. Both with 150 pro xs 4s. Just looking for some pros and cons for either from guys who own them. The price difference is only about 4k with the Vexus being the higher. Both boats have the Ultrex, ti2-9 at console and ti2 at bow.

The other boat i kind of considered was the lund pro bass 1875 but can't get one close to where i live and if course it's much more on the pocket.

Any help or advice works be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Huff

2. Member
    vexus with a G2 awesome boat!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

This past spring, I fished out of a Vexus 1980 with a 150 Merc Pro XS 4 stroke for a week at Santee. While I haven't fished out of a RT 198, my buddy with the Vexus had a RT188 for the previous 6 years and I fished out of that boat every year with him. Simply put, these two boats are not even in the same universe. The RT188 fished good, but rode rough like an aluminum. The AVX1980 both fished AND rode like a glass boat. I can not describe how fantastic the ride is. Before you decide, ride in each boat. I see that you are in Easely, SC. My buddy with the Vexus lives near Greenville. If you PM me your contact info, I will forward it to him and I'd bet he'd be willing to give you a ride.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    This past spring, I fished out of a Vexus 1980 with a 150 Merc Pro XS 4 stroke for a week at Santee. While I haven't fished out of a RT 198, my buddy with the Vexus had a RT188 for the previous 6 years and I fished out of that boat every year with him. Simply put, these two boats are not even in the same universe. The RT188 fished good, but rode rough like an aluminum. The AVX1980 both fished AND rode like a glass boat. I can not describe how fantastic the ride is. Before you decide, ride in each boat. I see that you are in Easely, SC. My buddy with the Vexus lives near Greenville. If you PM me your contact info, I will forward it to him and I'd bet he'd be willing to give you a ride.
    I have rode in a RT198p and it ride pretty good. I'm coming from a deep V tracker so i know there is going to be some differences but i was surprised how the good ranger rode. I have not been lucky enough yet to ride in the Vexus but have read great things about them. Most of what you read talks about how much more they cost over other tin boats. But with that being said the new 2020 rt198p is 35k with the Vexus at 39k. Yes it's 4k more but i would pay that is the ride is that much better. My boat is paid for but the 115hp 4s is just a little slow for me know.

Thanks for the replies and keep them coming.

5. Member
    I’m a Ranger guy 100% but if I was shopping tin boats I would be in the Vexus. Build quality, layout, ride, storage, and a nice trailer. Ranger builds a nice tin but it’s worth the 4K. Toured the factory last spring too, the Vexus guys are passionate about what they’re doing!
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

6. Member
    I don't think you can compare traditional aluminum boats with the Vexus AVX series, I think they're trying to take a bite out of the mid-class glass boat segment in terms of pricing and features.

7. Member
    Coming from a deep-v, you're going to be shocked at how high you sit in the Vexus. I don't know if it's the same way with the RT. Feels like you'll topple over into the water lol.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I’m a Ranger guy 100% but if I was shopping tin boats I would be in the Vexus. Build quality, layout, ride, storage, and a nice trailer. Ranger builds a nice tin but it’s worth the 4K. Toured the factory last spring too, the Vexus guys are passionate about what they’re doing!
    That's interesting to hear coming from a ranger guy. Thanks for the info.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I don't think you can compare traditional aluminum boats with the Vexus AVX series, I think they're trying to take a bite out of the mid-class glass boat segment in terms of pricing and features.
    So would you say the ride might be closer to the lund pro v bass. I know it's a multi species like boat but from what I've read people claim the same ride to glass

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Coming from a deep-v, you're going to be shocked at how high you sit in the Vexus. I don't know if it's the same way with the RT. Feels like you'll topple over into the water lol.
    Interesting with how high it sits. It looks like it will be a pretty dry ride as well in rougher water

11. Member
    The AVX1980 is a fantastic boat. I’d definitely recommend finding one to test before making a decision. I’d also recommend looking at the Xpress X19 and trying one out if you have a dealer within a reasonable distance. I was deciding between the Vexus and xpress and chose the xpress but it was a very tough decision and dealer location played a role.

Avid Boats have just started to ship and they look great. Had they been out a year or two ago I might have one of them instead. I’d take a look at them as well.

I haven’t been in the Ranger. I’m sure it’s a fine platform but looking at them on the trailer and reading about them leads me toward the other above mentioned brands. However, for the right price I’m sure the rt198p would be great, especially if you’re buying new and have a particular dealer you’d like to work with.
    Last edited by ajw18; 05-23-2020 at 07:11 AM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    I have an 1880 with the 135 Rude. I am confused about your statement on how high you sit. IMO this is one of the flattest sitting bass boats out there.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    I have an 1880 with the 135 Rude. I am confused about your statement on how high you sit. IMO this is one of the flattest sitting bass boats out there.
    I agree been in my nephews Vexus 1980 and doesn’t feel that way at all. Also have fished in friends Ranger 198s and after being in Vexus would never consider the Ranger. Ride not even close. Vexus feels more like a glass boat Ranger feels more like a tin.

14. Member
    dont get any aluminum boat confused with glass no matter who builds it completely different animal .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    dont get any aluminum boat confused with glass no matter who builds it completely different animal .
    I would agree but there is also a divide between different designs of aluminum boats. I’d say the gap between a flat bottom aluminum and performance pad style aluminum is greater than the gap between a 19’ pad tin boat and a 19’ glass boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post
    The AVX1980 is a fantastic boat. I’d definitely recommend finding one to test before making a decision. I’d also recommend looking at the Xpress X19 and trying one out if you have a dealer within a reasonable distance. I was deciding between the Vexus and xpress and chose the xpress but it was a very tough decision and dealer location played a role.

Avid Boats have just started to ship and they look great. Had they been out a year or two ago I might have one of them instead. I’d take a look at them as well.

I haven’t been in the Ranger. I’m sure it’s a fine platform but looking at them on the trailer and reading about them leads me toward the other above mentioned brands. However, for the right price I’m sure the rt198p would be great, especially if you’re buying new and have a particular dealer you’d like to work with.
    Thanks for the reply and info. I have no experience with Avid boats but i will most definitely do some looking into them. I just got back from a Vexus dealer and going over the 1980. It is a very nice boat. The front and rear fishing platforms feel very solid whole i walk around on them. I'm a bigger guy at 290lbs and there was no give at all while walking around. Storage is excellent. The only complaints i would have would be the drivers seat. It was kind of cramped. It did not have tilt and steering wheel felt like it was right up against me and low and the hot foot would leave my left leg at an uncomfortable position. It also seamed that the shifter sat pretty low but it might be because of what I'm use too. I think if I'm going to go the Vexus route then i would have to have tilt steering and no hot foot.

Also there closest dealer is about an 1.5 hours from me and I'm use to driving 20 to be at my local boat dealer.

I will do some more looking into express and see if i can get in one and check it out. I think there main reason i have not have them a lot of thought is because of the motor. I have always been a Mercury 4-stroke guy because I've had nothing but great experiences with no issues at all.

I wish i had a close Lund dealer where i could go over the 1875 pro v bass xs.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huff4x4 View Post
    That's interesting to hear coming from a ranger guy. Thanks for the info.

remember, the new vexus guys were also the old ranger guys!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw18 View Post

avid definitely worth looking at also!!!
    MAGA

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    remember, the new vexus guys were also the old ranger guys!
    True

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    avid definitely worth looking at also!!!
    I'm most definitely going to check them out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast