Powder Dispenser

Over the last few weeks I have got my Dillon up and running again after a 5 year or so hiatus. I have been loading some low volume stuff on the single stage during that time.

I bought a Hornady powder dispenser a year or so ago but I had never even unboxed it until this week. I decided to work up a few 223 loads to try out so I could make a decision what I want to use to make a run using the Dillon. I could not believe how slow the process was. Something else that was strange is how it would dispense ten or so loads in a row fine then overcharge 3 or 4 in a row then go back to dispensing 10-15 in a row good again. I was using a fine ball powder too. I can dump low out of a measure and trickle into the scale pan quicker IMO. Don't get me wrong it is easier but it is slower.

What is your opinion on these? Do you use one or are you old school and use a measure?

FWIW I never used a digital scale until then either. I always use the trusty 10-10.

Does that measurer have the little drop hammer/settling thumper on it and did you use it? If it doesn't find a small object to tap the unit once or twice between each drop. You will probably have to readjust after testing drops with this technique.

3. Member
    I had a Pact dispenser and it is good equipment. I kept it about 6 months and decided I would rather just hand shake loads instead and sold it. If you are loading one powder all the time at the same weight they do fine. But to me they are a pain in the butt when doing load development and changing powders and weights constantly.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    Does that measurer have the little drop hammer/settling thumper on it and did you use it? If it doesn't find a small object to tap the unit once or twice between each drop. You will probably have to readjust after testing drops with this technique.
    My lyman powder dispenser has one of those knockers. I am not having problems with the measures. I am talking about issues with the electronically controlled powder dispenser. It is like as motorized trickler.

Are you keeping a adequate level of powder in the hopper?

6. Member
    Yes pretty much a whole pound.

7. Member
    I'm not sure what your trying to do. The Dillon powder measure does just fine turning out 223 for the AR. Now when I'm making hunting loads I hand load each powder load on the pan and scale. But I'm like making 20 rounds at a time. But if I'm make rounds to have fun I run the Dillon at around 700 rounds an hour and never look back.

8. Member
    I am making loads with the single stage to do a ladder test before I settle on a load that I will use on the Dillon. Instead of using a measure and trickler I used the hornady dispenser which I had not used before. It worked but I had some overcharges that had to be dumped back in the hopper.

9. Member
    Ok I got it now

10. Member
    Most digital scales are junk.

I use fx120 with auto throw and trickle. Around 8.5-9 seconds per charge. It is a lab grade scale. If you don’t wanna spend that kind of money, try to find a gempro 250 and a powder throw. Throw the initial charge a few tenths under, then trickle up. Measures to the .02 of a grain.