Question ROD RECOMMENDATIONS - LARGER HAIR JIGS

Hi all,

I'm new to hair jig fishing, and was wondering what the consensus / recommendations are for throwing 5/8 - 3/4 oz. hair jigs? Would a 7'M rod be better than a 7'6"MH? Just curious what folks who use them all the time throw them on.
    I'll be fishing them most of the time in 15'-25' on 14lb. fluoro.
    thenhbassmaster@gmail.com
    2008 Ranger Z520 - Yamaha Vmax Series 2 250 - Minn Kota - Lowrance

2. Member
    Depends on how you're fishing them. If you're talking about preacher jigs like we throw down south where you rip them off bottom and let them fall I throw them on a 7'4" mh st croix legend tournament rod which is designed as a Carolina rig rod.
    I like the extra length to take up the slack when they hit it on the fall and the bit of extra backbone to drive the single hook.

If you're talking about slow rolling them for deep smallies, that's out of my lane

3. Member
    Thanks man! Yeah, the Preacher-style jigs. Either ripping off the bottom or doing the cast-reel fast-kill it style. I was leaning toward a bigger MH rod but wanted to hear from the experts. Boom.
    thenhbassmaster@gmail.com
    2008 Ranger Z520 - Yamaha Vmax Series 2 250 - Minn Kota - Lowrance

When it comes to rods length = better..........PROVIDED it doesn't cause you to work the bait too fast.

I'd put that weight jig in the same category as a worm rod. I use XF MH 7' rods for worming.

Never thrown a hair that heavy though. All of mine are 1/4 to 3/16.

5. Member
    I use anything from a 7’2 to a 7’6 medium heavy mod fast to fast, i personally don’t really like extra fast actions for hair jigs but prefer the extra fast for heavy spoon fishing or a fast action. Play with your rod lengths you may want shorter or longer.

6. Member
    This may not be the popular opinion but lately I've been having really good luck on cranking rods for hair jigs. The fish seem to take the bait deeper. That said I only use cranking rods for baits like the cumberlamd pro that don't have a gaff hook. On baits like a jenko that have much thicker hook I use a stouter rod.

7. Banned
    I want mine on a 7-6” medium heavy. 7 foot way too short for my liking

8. Member
    7'3" MH, same as my FB Jig rod.

9. Member
    I use a 7'MH and only way I fish em here is burn it and kill it. Works fine.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro