Zona solo somewhere in Michigan

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I found it interesting he says that the amount of light in the day is A more important Spawning trigger than water temp. Not my experience.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    I found it interesting he says that the amount of light in the day is A more important Spawning trigger than water temp. Not my experience.
    I agree with you. In the 40 years I’ve been seriously bass fishing, it’s very much about water temperature and stable conditions. Amount of light in the day gets them in the mood to move up, but without the temp it’s not happening.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I gotta say I somewhat agree with him. Last year up north the water warmed up extremely slow. I found fish spawing in cooler water than any other year before. Time of the year was the same as previous years but the water temp was a good 10-15 degrees cooler than it normally is that time of the year last year. But up until then I've always relyed solely on water temp.

5. Member
    I agree 100% with him. The LM in my area starting spawning the same time as they always do, but this year the water was mid 50s at best. In a normal year water temp would have been upper 60s.

I've seen the opposite happen also. In 2012 we had water temps in the mid to upper 60s at the end of March and the fish still waited until the first week of May. A week sooner in ponds.

6. Member
    This is true to a certain degree. The females' eggs need to 'ripen' or mature at a certain temperature and mother nature lets them know if it's time to drop. Water temperature is a huge (probably the most important) factor in the survival of the fry, and of course whether the eggs hatch. So yes, bass will 'mock' spawn but their behavior and locations will be different than so-called normal Spring water temperatures.

This may be an extreme but on Grand Traverse bay we have the fish move in and out so much every spring and its the water temperature that drives them. Last year with so much cold weather in May and first 3 weeks of June we had spawners into July.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    I have been on a lake up north for the last week and with the first wave the females were dropping eggs today. This is happening about 9 or 10 days earlier than last year. Only difference was the stretch of stable warm sunny conditions. I have been checking the progression closely and convinced the driving factor Is not time of day or moon phase it’s water temp/sun.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TCook View Post
    I have been on a lake up north for the last week and with the first wave the females were dropping eggs today. This is happening about 9 or 10 days earlier than last year. Only difference was the stretch of stable warm sunny conditions. I have been checking the progression closely and convinced the driving factor Is not time of day or moon phase it’s water temp/sun.
    I agree with this!

10. Scraps
    I swear sometimes here in the NE follow the calendar despite the conditions. Like the spawn the same time on the calendar regardless of the conditions. Maybe that is based solely on the moon year to year.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I have to agree with him on that one. Up north and on St. Clair. I've had the water temperature vary more than 10 degrees year to year and the fish are staged the same each time I'm there.

12. Member
    If it was all about the length of day all bass would spawn at the same exact time every year. That is definitely not the case. It varies each year depending on water temp, sunlight, and stable conditions.