Lithium as cranking and house battery-Verado

I've seen some discussion about using lithium as a starting and house battery, but seems most are running 2 strokes. I have a Verado 200 L4 (the small 4 cylinder) with no power steering. Lithium offerings seem to vary. AMPed has a starting battery rated at 1200CCA and 80 ah. Ionic has 900CA (no CCA spec that I have seen) and 125ah. Everything I have read says we need a big AGM to start the Verado reliably. I've seen some commentary that the lower CCA lithiums crank slow when cold and that is on a 2 stroke. Anybody running lithium to start their Verado or other 4 stroke and run house duties?

My focus at the moment is on AMPed and Ionic but would appreciate feedback from others as well.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 05-22-2020 at 09:16 AM.

2. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    I have several guys running the Relion Rb-100hp with the verado motors without issue. Sent you a mesas well.

Thanks

3. Member
    Message replied

4. Member
    Has anyone designed a test for CCA on lithium batteries? To my knowledge it is a marketing number. The traditional test is not possible to do on a lithium battery. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Moderator
    They say "cold cranking amp equivalent" if you read closely. Sealed Lead Acid "CCA" and Lithiums amp output are simply not measured the same. I really wonder how the math translates and 'whats actually required' when it comes to starting a big motor with a lithium. I doubt a starter on a 250hp outboard is pulling anywhere close to 800 amps. Lithiums don't dip in voltage like a SLA so the power req isn't the same and this CCA rating only applies to SLA's and the way they handle large current loads.

6. Member
    Would be nice to have a standard so we are not at the mercy of the marketing people. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    Lithium marine batteries are made up of lots of individual cells with a known max amp output. They configure them in series and parallel and give you the sum of the max amp output which is also controlled by the BMS. Manufacturers will use higher capacity cells for deep cycle and higher output cells for more cranking amps.
    2006 Ranger 521VX w/ Gorilla Hull
    2005 Mercury 250XS L 0T999348

8. Member
    So moving on from the cranking amps subject I recently tried a lithium starting battery from a popular mfr. I installed it and went for my maiden voyage this weekend. The first time throttled up I looked at my Solix and the screen was blank. Throttled down and restarted it. Slow to come up with my chart and no Autochart overlay. Throttled back up and it shut down again. Got to the location that I intended to fish and shut down the Verado. Started Solix and again no AC overlay. Fiddled around for about 15 minutes and finally got it. Turns out I had to R&R the zero lines card. Trolled a bit on battery and then decided to move and do some AC Live mapping. Throttled up and motored to new location. Graph on the whole time until I started to throttle back and then it was off again. Went through the slow no wake area, motored some more and then cut the main to idle. Started solix, reset card and started recording. I found that I could run RPM in the teens at 6 mph no problem. Seems to be transient in the middle range. What is happening is the voltage is spiking and tripping the BMS.

I've been told this is not uncommon on the Merc 4 strokes and that Ionic has mastered this with special BMS programming. I still have to ask why these spikes occur? Why the 4 stroke and not 2 stroke and why the regulator cannot manage voltage properly?

9. Member
    So here are my observations so far.

AMPed 80AH 1200 CCA starting battery would not work with my Verado charging system

Ionic 125AH deep cycle/starting battery now installed and awaiting testing.

While I was at it I dug out my Solar BA7? hand held battery tester. I had it set to test "CCA" even though the batteries were at room temp. I don't recall if there is another setting or not but the test was the same for all. I'm sure someone will find a reason to point out an error to my method, but here is what I found:

AMPED 611 CCA weighs in at just 20#

Ionic 800 CCA weighs in at 32#

Interstate AGM gr 31 a bit over 800 CCA

Interstate wet deep cycle a bit over 700 CCA

The difference in the lithium batteries is quite obvious. The weight also tells a story.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Pro View Post
    So here are my observations so far.

AMPed 80AH 1200 CCA starting battery would not work with my Verado charging system

Ionic 125AH deep cycle/starting battery now installed and awaiting testing.

While I was at it I dug out my Solar BA7? hand held battery tester. I had it set to test "CCA" even though the batteries were at room temp. I don't recall if there is another setting or not but the test was the same for all. I'm sure someone will find a reason to point out an error to my method, but here is what I found:

AMPED 611 CCA weighs in at just 20#

Ionic 800 CCA weighs in at 32#

Interstate AGM gr 31 a bit over 800 CCA

Interstate wet deep cycle a bit over 700 CCA

The difference in the lithium batteries is quite obvious. The weight also tells a story.
    I have 4 ionics in my boat ..1 is 100 ah for cranking 4s 115 hp..I won't ever have to put a charger on that battery..alternator keeps it topped off all the time.Had an issue with alternaotor spikes at wot and they had to send me a new battery with updated bms..perfect since Lot of guys have the 125 ah on their 250 sho's and love it. Reach out to Drew at info@drewcraft.com ..Super guy and he will do his best to help with any anxiety you may have about the ionic batteries.

11. Member
    Yep, the Amped Outdoors starting 60aH battery is a bust for me. Bummer cause there's so many positives for going lithium.

My motor is a 2019 Mercury 115 ProXS 4-stroke CT.

My issues were my Hummingbirds units shutting down and voltage spikes , and rpm surges.

12. Member
    I'm quite confident that the Ionic 125 will do well for me. Hope to test this weekend.