Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Alright Georgiagator, I played with some math this morning. Something is very wrong with either your math or the dealers math. Lets use your numbers that you have told us.

Boat - 25,000
    Payments increased 12%/month and about an extra $4000 total interest.
    Interest rate gone up over a full percent

Here are some numbers I found this morning using just a simple loan calculator

Loan for 25,000

5 year at 5%=472, at 6%=483, it would take increasing loan rate to 10% to get to $530 and close to 12% increase. That is plus 5% rate.
    8 year at 5%=316, at 6%=329, 9%=+12%. Again plus 4-5%
    4 year at 5%=576, 6%=587, 11%=645 which is 12% increase - plus 6% points
    So its going to take on average about +5% points to hit your 12% monthly payment increase - not 1%

$4000 interest over 5 years = about $66/month. That isn't doable by an increase of 1% on 25k. On average, 1% increase on rate on 25,000 for 8 years = $1250 and 5 years = $660. Now to match the numbers on the test samples above. A 5% increase on the loan rate on 25k would add about $65-85 month which would add approx. $4,000 over the term. Somebody has a bad number elsewhere. He cut your term length which would increase payment but not overall interest. or he is using the wrong loan amount, etc. It could be a simple honest mistake. But an increase of 5% is not a simple mistake. I would ask to see the numbers - loan rate, loan amount, loan payback and make sure they match up. When I buy a car, I have a loan calculator pulled up on my phone to confirm their numbers are accurate and no games are being played. I double check while I am in the office.
    Last edited by barbarian; 05-22-2020 at 06:24 AM.

2. Banned
    In these extraordinary times I'd sprint to the door and change my phone number... Dan

3. Member
    Id walk away from it. Bad dealership if they would do this now. Just think what they will be if you need something repaired? If you cant take a man at his word, he's not much of a man. Dont walk, run from it. It sounds like its a blessing

I have known people that drive away in their new vehicle and everything supposedly good on a sunday, only to be called on monday to bring the vehicle back because the bank opened on monday and did not agree to the deal.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

I will play devils advocate. Maybe the dealer actual gave the wrong rate and it was just an error. They have control over selling price but not the rate. If you love the boat get it. 1% increase in rate is not going to make or break you. If it does you can't afford the boat to begin with. Get your boat and enjoy.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    I will play devils advocate. Maybe the dealer actual gave the wrong rate and it was just an error. They have control over selling price but not the rate. If you love the boat get it. 1% increase in rate is not going to make or break you. If it does you can't afford the boat to begin with. Get your boat and enjoy.
    If so its not his fault the dealer screwed up. Dealer needs to eat the loss. The customer always has the final say.

If this is not from something that you did not disclose during the original application process - Drop the deal and find a new boat !

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    I still say it is a calculation error or credit score revelation issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    In house financing- they do control the rate. If he meant they handle the going out to get financing then id bet the rate changed when they pulled the credit report

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

10. Member
    Walk away if you want a new boat time to shop around some more. Those are crazy high interest rates
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    Those are crazy high interest rates
    12% or more is pretty high unless his credit score is not so good.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    So he called back, was able to lower my interest rate, extend my term length, no penalty for early payoff, platinum warranty.

13. Member
    Obviously you need to do what you feel is best for you. However, as others said, if you're looking for input.....it's time to look elsewhere if the dealer will not honor your original deal.

14. Member
    extend my term length
    Is this to meet a monthly payment you have in mind?

Did they know this monthly payment number?

If so, they are in the drivers seat.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

15. Banned
    Don't walk away. Run away.

16. Member
    Call Ken at REC Lending... board sponsor... and see if he can help you out.

17. Member
    If your credit is decent, I'b bring my own financing. From a bank or credit union.

At least do a simple check. Take your financed amount and your payment amount and number of months, and play around with any online payment calculator. Make sure he isn't jacking you on the interest rate. Very each to make the numbers seem nice by adding another 12-24 months to the loan. Of course, multiply payment times number of months and ask yourself is the boat worth that to you. If it is, buy it.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    That’s exactly how they get the money back for the good price. Not uncommon at all. The only thing they understand is “no thanks”

ans sadly, even if they cave, can you trust them with anything else? Service? Warranty? Filing the paperwork on your extended warranty? Telling you you are getting Platimun and find out you didn’t.

Sorry,, you have to walk away.
    Exactly, not the first time I've seen this either. I would walk away and not look back. All trust is gone.

19. #FRB
    In my opinion you should never negotiate with a monthly payment in mind. The only time that worked in my favor was when I knew the payment I requested for the number of months I wanted to finance would either get me a smoking deal or a simple "no you're out of your mind". I bought the truck. You should only focus on price and always dodge the monthly payment question. You should know what you can afford and they don't need to know what your maximum comfortable monthly payment is. Educated people are a dealer's worst nightmare.

OP, I hope things work out for you. Just don't give in unless the numbers jive and you can trust that dealer if you have any issues. Everyone makes mistakes but upping the interest rate could be their way to get free money out of you. If they're trying to work with you then great but I wouldn't let them increase the term length to stay at the original agreed upon monthly payment.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    If so its not his fault the dealer screwed up. Dealer needs to eat the loss. The customer always has the final say.
    Can't help but laugh at people who think like this. The dealer won't eat shit. And they shouldn't.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast