Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Oil delivery problem

250xs 0T819125

This season is getting off to a bad start. First I had a sensor power issue which I resolved thanks to you guys. Now I have an oil delivery problem. Alarm went off on the way to marina after launching for the season. Opened the cap on the reserve oil tank with motor running and no oil feed. I’ve changed the check valve, in line filter, hoses. When I take the blue stripe hose off the tank with the motor running oil comes out of tank. I blew the lines out and there was no issue. I hooked up a length of hose to the tank to see if it would feed through that and it didn’t. When I put my thumb over the open end of the hose it seemed like there was suction not pressure. The only things I haven’t changed is the tank and the check valve by the inline filter. I’m stumped. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    With the engine idling, spray some soapy water around the tank caps. You'll see it bubble up if there's a pressure leak. You can also attach a low fuel pressure tester to the check valve feed line at the tank and check for 3-5 psi. I'd bet a burger that a cap seal is leaking pressure.

3. Member
    Sprayed every connection with soapy water - all seems good

4. Member
    Check reeds.

5. Member
    If there's an issue with the reeds would there be a difference in the engines idle or performance? Right now it seems to idle and run fine. Would I need to remove the atentuator to inspect the reeds or can they be seen through the throttle body??
    Last edited by rdiesel01; 05-22-2020 at 12:02 PM.

6. Member
    Went down to boat tonight and hooked up a pressure gauge at the engine - pressure was approx. 6lbs. I then hooked it up to tank side of hose and it was substantially lower -approx 3lbs. Is that normal??

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- there is a drop in pressure over the length of that pressure hose.

I would be checking that pressure hose for kinks or deteriorated sections (such as is often the case if there has been a fuel leak).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don. I replaced the hose and still wasn't getting any oil delivery so I took the air hose from one of the other motors and hooked it up to the "problem tank" when I ran that motor it pushed oil through eliminating a leak at the oil tank/oil hose. I then took the tank and a approx. 3' section of hose I had from replacing it and hooked it up to the engine again oil was pushed through. Lastly I pressurized the air hose to about 6psi and it didn't hold air. I'm guessing it got punctured pulling through. Installing another new hose Weds. hopefully all will be good

9. Member
    Don- hopefully you’ll see this as I’m at my wits end. As I posted earlier I replaced checked everything. Thought I had I’d narrowed down to an air hose issue but noooo. I pulled a new hose up from the bilge to the motor and still no oil feed. I hooked up the pressure gauge and it and it doesn’t even read 2psi. I hooked up a hose from the tank to the engine without pulling it through the rigging tube - still no oil feed???? Only thing I can think of is the reeds? But the engine idles fine - hellllllp!0

Quote Originally Posted by rdiesel01 View Post
    Went down to boat tonight and hooked up a pressure gauge at the engine - pressure was approx. 6lbs. I then hooked it up to tank side of hose and it was substantially lower -approx 3lbs. Is that normal??
    Did it hold that pressure for a while when the motor is shut off?
    Using a painter air pressure regulator connect it to the hose removed from the check valve on the motor and set the regulator 3 PSI, oil should start flowing in to the engine mounted tank
    Then pinch off the oil feed line at the motor tank and using a hand vacuum/pressure pump apply 5 psi to the hose that came off of the check valve and see if it leaks down
    If you truly have 6 PSI of crankcase pressure and the check valve is working correctly I would doubt you have a reed problem
    Note the inline filter is directional, small arrow must be pointed towards the motor tank direction of flow, check that first
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-27-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Filter is oriented correctly - at the tank the pressure reads barely I’ve 1 psi

12. Member
    To be 100% clear you changed the "check valve" that screws into the motors block, on the starboard side, below the starter, with the solid black hose connected to it???

13. Member
    Yes - it appears that there isn’t enough pressure being generated to push the oil on the full length of hose. When I take the oil tank out of the bilge and connect it to the engine on the transom with a short length of hose it pushed oil to the engine mounted tank

14. Member
    I would inspect the reeds as mentioned before.

15. Member
    I’ll add also that I ran a new hose from remote tank to engine. I also ran the extra hose I had from the remote tank to the engine without running it through the rigging tube

16. Member
    Was hoping I wouldn’t have to take the intake off . I’ve never done that - thanks Savage

17. Member
    So - just finished taking the plenum off and as my gut suspected all reeds intact. At this point I’ve changed:
    check valve
    inline filter
    hoses from tank to engine
    no leaks have been confirmed on oil side by using pressure hose from one of the other engines(triple engine boat)
    I’M AT A COMPLETE LOSS as to where to go from here

18. Member
    Your overlooking something, this is a simple circuit.

Black hose pumps air through the check valve into the remote tank, thus pressurizing the remote tank, and pushes oil to the reserve reservoir through the black hose with blue stripe.

Note: Oil will NOT flow to the reserve reservoir, from the remote oil tank, unless the vent cap is open on the reserve reservoir.

Try swapping the 3-way check valve ( fitting only has hoses on TWO of its three ends) at the reserve reservoir, with one from your other motor. Check valve is located below the reserve reservoir, right above the shift cable.
    Last edited by Savage; 05-28-2020 at 05:12 PM.

19. Member
    The 3 way check valve is the only thing I haven’t changed but as I stated earlier if I hook up the air hose from
    one of the other engines to the remote tank it pushes the oil no issue. I totally understand the workings of the system - very simple - thats what’s making this very frustrating

20. Member
    Perhaps the new check valve is defective, or something is stuck in the port on the motor where the check valve threads in.

Remove the NEW check valve and look inside the port.
    Remove check valve from the known good motor and install it in the problem motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast