Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you removed the pickup tube from the oil tank, and CLEANED the pickup tube screen, blown out each fitting, PROPERLY reconnected everything, and allowed the engine to run at idle for 60-90 seconds BEFORE opening the cap on the ENGINE mounted tank (so that pressure can build)?

Remember- if you have a long run of hose, it will take longer to pressurize the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    When I connect the air line from one of the other engines to this engines oil tank it works properly. So the issue isn't on the oil side of the system, apparently it's on the pressure side. I've been given some doomsday scenarios where there could be an issue with compression or rings... but the engine idles fine and runs fine

3. Member
    Swap out that "new" check valve, with a known good check valve, and inspect that port. Maybe there is a piece of a broken check valve stuck in the port, blocking the air flow.

4. Member
    Thanks Savage - will do - hopefully get the plenum and reed cage back together tonight and will swap out the check valves. I really appreciate you guys taking time to try and help me out

5. Member

6. Member
    Update on what's going on. Put the reeds and plenum back together and did an oil pump prime - engine fired right up and idled very smooth. I checked to see if there was air coming out of the check valve which there was. With the engine running I disconnected the air line at the remote tank and heard/ felt it depressurize. I hooked up a gauge I had to the air line at the engine which wasn't liquid filled and it appeared to read about *psi - hard to tell exactly cause it was bouncing around. I tried moving the tank further aft with a shorter hose and still nothing. I'll check the compression next but as i stated last time out boat ran great. I also spoke to a local dealer and he said to check fuel diaphram? I'm completly stumped

Does that * mean 8 psi peak pressure, If so what was the lowest presure?. Compare that reading to what one of the other motors have, sounds like the check valve may not be sealing
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you see cycling pressure and vacuum, without a BUILD in pressure to at least 5 psi, the check valve is likely sticking.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Ok - finally figured it out. Despite me thinking that a brand new check couldn’t be bad that’s exactly what it was. I had an extra one at home - blew through it and seemed good. Went down to the boat took out the bee check valve and blew through it - def not as easy as the spare. Put the spare in and all was good. Thanks to all who gave me input to figure this out

10. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    --------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12