smart craft gauge issue

I just repowered from an 01 225 optimax to a 2018 225 pro xs. Trying to figure out these smart craft I purchased.

I've run the CAN cable from motor to the dash. Plugged into the 4 port junction. 2 of the ports are terminated and the other is the wiring harness to the Tach #8m6003255.

The gauge set I purchased also has a speedo, trim and fuel gauge. Which I tried to calibrate the trim but I get no reading on the digital readout nor the needled trim gauge. The harness used from tach to the 4 port has 2- 3 pin connectors that are marked system link. How do I know which "system link" wire is to be used or are they both utilized?

If I run main 10 pin wire to tach, system link to speedo and then connect everything else together with a terminator at the end it should work correct? Do I need to terminate all wires not being utilized? If so where do I get a terminating end for the 3 pin connectors? Thanks for any help

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved your thread to the 3L Forum for you (appropriate forum for your engine).

Did you perhaps purchase a System Tach & Speed KIT, and some additional system link gauges? Numbers printed on harnesses and parts are internal PRODUCTION numbers, not actual Part Numbers. For instance, 8M6003255 is not a part number (doesn't exist for the purposes of ordering a part).

Let's get some basic info and work from there:

-Engine Serial Number?

-What Part Numbers are on the packages (or your purchase receipt)?

-Where did you obtain these components?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don, thanks for getting me where I needed to be wasnt real sure where I should post it
    Engine #2B533995
    The gauges were in my old boat so I don't have the package bit I can get the part #'s off of ea individual gauge and update. They were in a Lund boat if that helps. They are 1-analog tach with digital readout below 1-needle type speedo 1-needle type trim 1-needle type fuel. Uploaded a photo not sure it will help. 20200516_175722.jpg

4. Member
    Smartcraft System Tach/Speedo for sure, other two gauges may be System Link but I can't confirm.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks. Check your blue 10-pin cable to make sure it has a yellow band at BOTH ends. If so, NO ADDITIONAL TERMINATORS ARE REQUIRED.

Plug it into your junction box, plug tach into junction box, cap remaining two ports with DUST CAPS (do NOT use terminators unless you are missing a yellow band at the console end of blue cable).

System link gauges connect to tach harness, and daisy-chain from one gauge to the next.

Finally, you will need a Digital Trim Sender in order to use trim on Smartcraft. Our Parts Department keeps them in stock: Part# 859187A1.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don, yes it has the yellow band at both ends. Do you know why the wiring harness going from the junction box to the gauges would have 2 male ends labeled system link?

7. Member
    Don, I was incorrect in my last statement. The CAN cable has 1 system link wire. The second system link wire is on the wiring harness that goes from the junction box to the gauge. Sorry. Pics are of the back of all the gauges. Those will be the only #'s I have unfortunately 20200525_184254.jpg

8. Member

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GLjFishing View Post
    Don, I was incorrect in my last statement. The CAN cable has 1 system link wire. The second system link wire is on the wiring harness that goes from the junction box to the gauge. Sorry. Pics are of the back of all the gauges. Those will be the only #'s I have unfortunately 20200525_184254.jpg
    You must use the System Link plug on the harness running from the J-Box to the Gauge (do NOT use the one on the blue harness). Also note that the harness from the J-Box to the gauge is "directional" (it's ends are marked to assist in properly connecting).