Upgrade from 1198/998 set up to Helix 12’s

I run a 998 up front and 1198 at the console. Both have their own GPS puck and the 998 transducer is mounted to my TM. The units are tied together with the ethernet cable. My 1198 has the y cable and puck for 2d and a transducer mounted on the bottom of the step of my Ranger for si/di. I don’t remember the name for the transducer. I understand the Helix units use the same connectors as the older units and if so then what else will need to be swapped out? Or is this a larger undertaking than I think? Assume both transducers at the rear of the boat will need changing?

If you get current models, nothing but the Ethernet cable and power cords are the same.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If you get current models, nothing but the Ethernet cable and power cords are the same.
    Any idea how hard it is to swap out one of those thru hull transducers? Changing out the bow is easy but I have never messed with the stuff at the back.

So you have the thru-hull UNDER the transom extension, not on a transom step---XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T.

There is threaded stem with a nut holding it in place on the inside with some sealant to keep from leaking. You just unscrew the nut and push the transducer out. This is the transducer, just doesn't show the nut:

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ing-transducer
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    So you have the thru-hull UNDER the transom extension, not on a transom step---XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T.

There is threaded stem with a nut holding it in place on the inside with some sealant to keep from leaking. You just unscrew the nut and push the transducer out. This is the transducer, just doesn't show the nut:

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...ing-transducer
    Yep, that’s the one! I ordered the boat that way so I have zero experience messing with it but I did rig the front up the way I wanted it. I assume they have a replacement model for the Helix as well?

The first generation Helix uses the same one and there is a XPTH for the second generation MEGA SI and one for the third generation SI+.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I would be going 3rd gen so it looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for the help.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Just a brainstorm here but can the 1198 be Ethernet connected to the Helix GN 3 units and used for mapping or a back up? Is the Helix mapping an improvement? Can they at least share waypoints back and forth or is the old stuff just totally left out to dry?

Absolutely they can be networked. I'm running a Helix 12 G3 for my 360, then a 998 on the bow and 1198 on the console. You'll have to have a network hub though to connect the 3 units. Biggest improvement in mapping is just the speed the Helix will have. I have a Lakemaster Plus chip in my 998, which is the most current and probably the best map. Don't think the Plus chip is compatible with the 1198.

I'd keep the 1198 at the console for mapping. If your 998 is the HD model, I'd do the same at the bow. Mine is the older 998c, so the display isn't as bright in the sunlight. And it really sucks compared to the the Helix

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin389 View Post
    Absolutely they can be networked. I'm running a Helix 12 G3 for my 360, then a 998 on the bow and 1198 on the console. You'll have to have a network hub though to connect the 3 units. Biggest improvement in mapping is just the speed the Helix will have. I have a Lakemaster Plus chip in my 998, which is the most current and probably the best map. Don't think the Plus chip is compatible with the 1198.

I'd keep the 1198 at the console for mapping. If your 998 is the HD model, I'd do the same at the bow. Mine is the older 998c, so the display isn't as bright in the sunlight. And it really sucks compared to the the Helix
    I have the same dim 998 and my old eyes can’t see the thing anymore. Need bigger and brighter up there. That’s what got all this thinking started. The thought of keeping the 1198 and running it as a map and letting the Helix do the sonar work interests me if it will work. Thanks for the help.

12. Member
    If you want to use the 1198 as a chartplotter and share waypoints, you will need to use an Ethernet Switch and GPS input. Then you only need to run power to it with an Ethernet Cable. If you already have a transom GPS for console unit, the 1198 can share GPS through the network along with waypoints. The newer units have CHIRP mode and will not share any CHIRP technology (sonar/imaging) with a non-CHIRP model and then only limited to basic frequencies.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    If you want to use the 1198 as a chartplotter and share waypoints, you will need to use an Ethernet Switch and GPS input. Then you only need to run power to it with an Ethernet Cable. If you already have a transom GPS for console unit, the 1198 can share GPS through the network along with waypoints. The newer units have CHIRP mode and will not share any CHIRP technology (sonar/imaging) with a non-CHIRP model and then only limited to basic frequencies.
    My 1198 is connected to a puck on the transom. Sounds like the set up I have in my head just may work!

14. Member
    + Don't forget to turn sonar off on the 1198 if no transducer is connected.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

That’s the part I am still contemplating. Since it is already all there I may just leave it hooked up as a backup. The 1198 is currently connected to a 2d in the hull and a thru hull SI/Di transducer. I don’t want to just scrap the 1198 if it can still be utilized. Got to figure out what mount to use for both though.