ring free in a 250 SHO?

Is it required to run ring free in these or is even a good idea?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Is it required to run ring free in these or is even a good idea?
    One dealer told me don't bother, Yamaha says you must. I usually run it every other tank
    Last edited by Hchamberlin1; 05-21-2020 at 01:17 PM.

3. Member
    I thought it was required as well but I didnt see it in the manual anywhere. Let me give it another look.

4. Member
    It does say it is recommended in the manual. I try and remember to add it when I guy gas. It's not that expensive when you only put in 1oz per ten gallons.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

5. Member
    I am on my second SHO and it gets ring free with every tank. It's a lot cheaper than 2 stroke oil.

6. Member
    Never added it in my SHO. Ever. 2011 250 SHO on FX 20. 436 hours. Runs flawlessly. Only my .02 cents and my experience.

7. Member
    Never not had it in mine. Dealer said run it. Cheap insurance on a $20k engine. Even though I think it would be fine without.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    Never not had it in mine. Dealer said run it. Cheap insurance on a $20k engine. Even though I think it would be fine without.
    You make a good point. The cost of the motor plus the manufacture recommends it gets me to add it every time. Some people claim its snake oil but I have been adding it to the two motors I have owned starting with an Evinrude in 1989. Probably 5 tanks of non ethanol gas ran in that motor and my 2012 F150 that I know have. Zero fuel related problems in either motor. I also run Yamalube oil and the associated Yamaha filters in the F150 as well.

9. bullyfish
    Here we go again ringfree was designed for two-stroke motors. Had a Yamaha tech tell me you don’t have to use it l have 300 hours on my motor never used it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    Here we go again ringfree was designed for two-stroke motors. Had a Yamaha tech tell me you don’t have to use it l have 300 hours on my motor never used it.
    Yamaha tech reps (not sales guys) have told me on several occasions to use in the SHO as well, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLYFISH View Post
    You are correct. The ring free was used to help keep carbon at bay in the 2 stroke motors. It would offer no benefit in a 4 stroke. Today's fuels have plenty of detergents to keep 4 stroke engines burning clean. I don't run ring free in my HPDI after switching to Pennzoil premium plus. Plugs almost look new after a years use.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member
    I had a Mercury 250xs & ran Yamaha ring free always. ( IT WORKS PERIOD )

13. Member
    Only engine I've ever had that I was told that I "should" run ring free in was in my two HPDI's. It was to keep carbon from forming on the O2 sensor if I remember correctly. Sometimes at WOT you would feel a slight surge in the engine that was caused by the carbon. I have talked to the only guy I let touch my SHO (extremely knowledgeable Yamaha mechanic with an excellent relationship with Yamaha) since I posted my first post. I asked him about ring free in my SHO or any other 4 strokes and he said absolutely no need for it. I was just trying to give the OP an honest answer instead of telling him to spend more money on something that isn't necessary.

14. Member
    I don't understand how 1 OZ. in ten gallons can do anything. Must be awful powerful stuff!

15. Member
    Carbon forms in 4 strokes as well. Granted gasoline does have many detergents and things added. But nothing is perfect. Plus the gas manufacturers aren't all created equal. Even the Tier 1 suppliers are different. That being said, probably would be fine without it. Would I run without it, yes, for short period if I was needing fuel and didn't have while away from home at the lake. Just not taking a chance on an injected engine with close clearances and valves that are close as well. Just cheap insurance. IMO
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    You are correct. The ring free was used to help keep carbon at bay in the 2 stroke motors. It would offer no benefit in a 4 stroke. Today's fuels have plenty of detergents to keep 4 stroke engines burning clean. I don't run ring free in my HPDI after switching to Pennzoil premium plus. Plugs almost look new after a years use.

The Tier One fuels have detergents in them.

If you buy your gas at the cheapest places in town more than likely it will not have detergent in them.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDOCK View Post
    I don't understand how 1 OZ. in ten gallons can do anything. Must be awful powerful stuff!
    Exactly ! !

18. Member
    The manual says its recommended to run an additive but not required.