Thumbs Up Sh!* Happens! Bad Day - Good Day

Oh the wonders of being a boat owner!
    At the lake trying to get in a day before the Amature Festival Weekend.
    2019 21 FX LE - 250 SHO, everything normal, fired up off the trailer to dock.
    In the boat, no one around, I dropped TM and started fishing boat ramp, caught 2.
    Decided to cross cove, jumped behind the wheel, NOTHING! SHO was cranking
    no fire. It wasn't gas, full tank. Had to be something stupid, called the boat shop.
    Was on hold for ever, left message. Call me, I'm dead in the water. Talking to the
    junior mechanic at the shop, we went through the usual. Yes the kill switch lanyard is
    in place. The fuel switch on the panel was lit. Bring it in. Well damn, I'm a old fart
    and I'm going to have to try to load this 21 foot rig on the trailer, that is full of gas, with
    a trolling motor. Set the trailer deep and thank you Minn Kota for the 112 Lbs. of thrust.
    Got the bow eye within 2'. With effort, I made it back to the city and Blackbeard Marine before 6.
    I got the boat into the yard and the mechanic started with gas then went to ignition.
    Hooked up the laptop, BAD FUZE. OK so there is a 30 amp small blade fuse under the cowling.
    Who knew! So if your out there and you go dead, check that fuse that controls the ECU, fuel pump!
    There are spares under the cover! I've got to put in a shout out to my boat shop Blackbeard!
    They called me back, got me in at the shop at quitting time, problem solved!
    Now some folks would be angry, but I'm not. I got the service we all hope we get from our dealer!
    I'm a lucky man, I have a dedicated Skeeter Dealership and a great mechanic.
    I really love my new 21 FX LE. It fishes great! So I survived my first problem with the new rig.

Have a great Memorial Day! Remember those who gave us our freedom to fish!

2. Member
    That’s great to hear of a shop actually giving good customer service! So often, all we hear is the negative. I’m as guilty as the next guy.

Now the next question, why or what caused the fuse to blow?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayburn Guide View Post
    That’s great to hear of a shop actually giving good customer service! So often, all we hear is the negative. I’m as guilty as the next guy.

Now the next question, why or what caused the fuse to blow?
    To go on with why or what. Where exactly are these fuses, Ive had a SHO since 2011 and never needed to find one but I would like to know

4. Member
    2019 250 SHO - Under the cowling on the starboard side, there is a small black box, fuse cover.
    Under the cover is 7 fuses, I blew fuse #2, 30 amp, from the owners manual.
    It controls the Ignition coil, fuel injectors, variable cam shaft timing and ECM
    (electronic control module)
    also in the box, starter relay, fuel pump, electric throttle valve, power trim & tilt switch fuse
    and the main fuse 60 Amp! I was just grateful to now know there are spares and a tool under the cover.
    Russell and I discussed the failure but I couldn't tell him that I didn't do anything out of the normal operations.
    I am a old OMC mechanic and have been around boats since childhood. A bass boat owner since 1975.
    I haven't got a clue. But it sure left me hung out there. Just nice to know it's there and to check them
    when a sudden failure hits.

My question would be what caused the fuse to blow in the first place
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    I had a similar issue with my SHO 200 a few months after I bought the boat and motor. Running down the lake and the motor just sputtered and died. Checked all the things you did and called dealer as well. Something to keep in mind if this happens again. You can pump up the bulb and it will fill the motor with just enough gas to idle around for a bit. My fuse kept blowing as well and then the lift broke as well. Yamaha and the dealer could never prove what caused the fuse to keep breaking and then caused the lift pump to fail. In my case the lift pump was replaced and I haven't had the issue since. One other thing. Only thing weird thing that happened before my problem was upon starting up the motor after fishing a week or so before it put out a lot of smoke and it smelled like something burning. Nothing was ever found to be burnt and it has never happened since.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

7. Member
    Well if it keeps happening, they will just have to trade me up to a new FXR !

But I really like my FX's paint scheme better!