Thread: First beds

First beds

Headed to a local lake (@ N43.2430° for the curious:), cruised a 2'-5' flat on the NW side. Saw a few smallie beds with skittish fish around them. I got one off a bed, but most of my fish were LM near boulders or mooring buoys in under 6'. Some of the largemouth seemed to be glued to these areas, but no obvious beds were observed. There were a bunch of apparent/abandoned/completed crappie beds in the area too. I picked up ten or so LM in a couple of hours on a 3.5" tube, and my son got a LM and a SM on a jerkbait. Once we got out of the protected area, the chop made sight fishing difficult. I got my first of the year on a squarebill, backlashed the bejesus out of that reel, and we headed out at 8:00:) Temp at the launch was 68, mostly 62-65 everywhere else. Fish (mostly LM) were 1-2#, none showed wear marks.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

2. Member
    After the heat of today and tmrw it is going to be game on. Hopefully I can get the kids onto some good ones this weekend.

3. Member
    Just got tomorrow off to head to Newfound again tomorrow and enjoy one more day before the masses hit the lakes again. Thankfully, they're not on beds yet up there, but I'm worried they'll be starting by Sunday. Going to be too nice to sit inside all day tomorrow, so said screw it, I could do with a vacation day. Wind will be ripping a bit too so hoping for a great moving bait bite...

4. Member
    I'm gonna chance it and head up to Newfound on Saturday w/ my son.

Went to Newfound today. They're ready! Got four over 3 lbs. Should be good this weekend.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

6. Member
    Newfound was a grind today. Wind never really picked up like the forecast called for. The short window it did, the bite went off, and died as soon as the wind did. Scraped together 7 myself and my buddy got 6, threw everything I had. So many followers, but so few would commit. Some BIG followers too.

Water temp was 48.5 to start and topped out at 51 this past Sunday. Today, it was 57 to start, and topped out at 60-62 midlake to southern end. Found a few eager bass locked on beds in one spot. By the time we left at 2:00, areas we combed in the morning had fish making beds. That was fast. Didn't see a single bed all morning, so I thought we still had time. By 2:00, I saw at least two dozen just in one area where they were just starting them. Hope the bit of cool down this weekend slows them down a bit, but I have my doubts.

7. Member
    Winni was a washing machine today but the fish were biting fish are in prespawn and spawn depending where you are on the lake

8. Member
    Larrys and Sallys both spawning at Gregg yesterday, Deering might be a good pick for anyone staying south today. Still not peak, lakes region should be hot next weekend.

9. Member
    Fished Newfound with my son Saturday. Got one on my second cast with a squarebill, saw bass cruising all over the flat and figured it was game on!

The next hour or two, only a few follows on that, and his jerkbait. Put on a flatside crankbait and picked up 4-5 more. The next step in the right direction was going to a windblown bank and moving up tight. Started getting hit on every 4-5 casts. Ended up landing close to 20, I only weighed one fish - a 3#4oz, another 4-5 were that size. Sounds good, but I could have easily doubled those numbers. I had another 6-8 come off on the jump, had a good dozen smash it and not get hooked up, and an equal number follow it right into the rod tip. Most of the ones I did get had the rear hook, and only one point at that. With more time, I would have changed colors and run that bank again.
    pence.png

Some of my issues might have been the 30# braid w/ 10# fluoro leader. I was using a BPS Crankin Stick, and fluoro mainline might have allowed them to pull it in a little better.

As far as beds, I saw 5 or 6, none with fish locked on (or even close by).

All in all, a positive step in my fledgling crankbait game:)
    Last edited by bassboat1; 05-24-2020 at 09:26 AM.

10. Moderator
    Sounds like a good day.

11. Member
    Fish are on beds on Conway Lake. Not all the deep beds are there but the shallow ones were pretty good yesterday.

Sounds like you had a good time
    Hoping to get out this weekend.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax