Claytor Lake This Weekend?

OK--my wife and I have had a trip planned to the New River to kayak. Well that is out due to the flooding. Does anyone have any idea if I can take the bass boat and get on Claytor? Will it be muddy? Not really concerned about catching fish--I just need to get my wife out of the house and do something fun as she is battling cancer and Covid has kept her homebound for 3 months. Thanks for the help!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

2. Member
    They pulled the lake 5' on Monday to brace for the heavy rains. The lake made it to full pond this morning and the lower end of the lake is still clear. If I had to guess the main channel will get muddy but everything on the state park side will remain clear. Once they stop pulling water it will get dirty.

You should be fine this weekend, just keep an eye out for big floaters.

3. Member
    Thanks very much for the reply. That helps me a bunch. Did not want to tow the boat 4 hours for nothing!
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

4. Member
    How about gaston? It should be OK and alot closer.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

5. Member
    Already have a place rented on the New River--I cannot get out of it since the roads and house are not flooded.
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    OK gotcha... have fun!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

7. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    This is what allisonia at the top of the lake looks like right now.. I would be concerned. FB_IMG_1590091138345.jpg
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

8. Member
    thanks, John

Looks like it is at 13 ft right now. According to the hydrograph, it will be at 6 ft on Saturday. I am sure Claytor will have debris floating in it
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

9. Member
    thanks, John

Looks like it is at 13 ft right now. According to the hydrograph, it will be at 6 ft on Saturday. I am sure Claytor will have debris floating in it
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

I crossed the New River above and below the lake today. Both places, along with Peak Creek, were out of the banks and rolling red mud. No way that Claytor is not going to be a mess this weekend.

11. Member
    http://claytorlakewebcam.com/ This camera is in the State park.

Lower end of the lake still looks great. Check out the Rock house if you all get hungry on the lake, they are now serving food on the deck.

If you want to catch some fish a fluke/ trick worm should be a guarantee in the clear water still. Spinnerbait/chatterbait in the dirty water.

12. Member
    Around Radford, the level is dropping quickly. May be able to kayak Sunday-Monday.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/u...60,62620,62614

Here are other locations with levels and flows.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/current/?type=flow

13. Member
    The flow into Claytor is still above 27000 at all three stations above the lake. Being local and seeing rain events like we had this week several times in the past I expect the river will take at least a week to be fishable or safe for kayaks. It's dangerous enough at normal flow rates of 4 to 5000cfs this time of year.

14. Member
    Rain Rain Rain! I did get on Claytor on Saturday. Lower lake was good. However, by Saturday afternoon, the debris was getting down lake. We stayed on the New River around Draper. The river dropped down however it was muddy and the river was rolling. To dangerous for a fat boy in a kayak! Thanks for all the help
    2007 Ranger Z21
    Yamaha SHO 250

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    What a messy weekend, I couldn't believe how quiet it was on SML. I fished for three hours Monday afternoon and saw a single boat. Water is starting to clear (I'm sure it is much better down lake) but more is forecast for later this week, hopefully it won't be another deluge.