St Lawrence River Regs

I am coming to fish the St Lawrence River in June. What is required to fish the Canadian side of the river? Obviously you need Canadian license but I have heard you need passport/id and call when you enter their waters. What’s the latest?

2. Member
    cant answer on passport,as I have an enhanced license, you need to have there outdoors card also ,but you have to have that to purchase the license,just don't anchor or drop your power poles and you should be fine,you don't need to call anymore,you used to and it was a pia, not sure where you are going,but you can get your license rite at thousand island bait and takle

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    no need to call and I have fished the waters with no passport , just have license and outdoor card. and as stated do not beach anchor or powerpole down. basically do not touch or have anything other then a lure touch land, bottom etc.

4. Member
    Also, when in June do you plan on coming? The St. Lawrence is off limits for bass fishing until June 21 even for catch and release. Anytime before that you’re bound to get fined
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Thanks. We will be there on the 21st.

6. Member
    It's actually the 3rd Saturday June 20th it opens.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead Ed View Post
    I am coming to fish the St Lawrence River in June. What is required to fish the Canadian side of the river? Obviously you need Canadian license but I have heard you need passport/id and call when you enter their waters. What’s the latest?
    Since the 2011 incident with PITA canadian OPP officers arresting and commandeering an American vessel with proper registration, meeting all legal requirements including seasonal canadian fishing licenses, most upstate fishermen stay on our side of the fence to prevent any harassment. There is a pending law that needs to be voted in by Canada, but yet in the works.
    This is the current regs as of Jan 2019 that I know need to be followed so you are not potentially harassed by some POS canadian border agent or OPP.

All American boaters crossing the Canadian side must put a call in to Canadian customs (1-888-Can pass).

In addition, they are required to report information from (and have in their possession) certain documents. Anglers and recreational boaters alike must have either a passport, birth certificate or enhanced driver's license. If they have a DWI, drug charge or any firearms charges on their criminal record, they are not allowed to enter Canadian waters.

8. Member
    NY Statewide regulations allow for two black bass (smallmouth and largemouth) seasons.
    The first one is the traditional season that runs from the third Saturday in June through Nov. 30, and the second is a catch-and-release, artificial-lures-only season that extends from Dec. 1 until the Friday preceding the third Saturday in June.
    The St. Lawrence River bass regulations for the traditional season are identical to the statewide ones regarding season dates, daily creel limit of five fish, and minimum-length requirement of 12 inches; however, there is no catch-and-release season on the river as special regulations state that fishing for black bass (including catch and release) is prohibited outside of the open season from the third Saturday in June until Nov. 30.

9. Member
    Since when do you have to call in when going to the Canadian side? I thought they got rid of that a few years ago ?

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by NY29T View Post
    Since when do you have to call in when going to the Canadian side? I thought they got rid of that a few years ago ?
    That was my impression as well.. have marshalled the elites on there not 1 pulls over to call and say hey im going into candian water. I never have as well.

11. Member
    Bass season opens on the third Saturday of June for Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River. Zone 20.

12. Member
    I also believe you don’t have to call in as long as you don’t anchor. I fish there quite frequently and haven’t called in a couple years. I was stopped by OPP last year and they never asked about it. One thing to note and I didn’t know at the time, if you are Using inflatable PFD’s they must be worn at all times in Canadian waters. The OPP officer told me this is a zero tolerance law. I was lucky enough to have two regular PFD’s in the boat with me but had a buddy get caught and cost him close to $200 a guy after the exchange. Good luck fishing.