Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First of all it is no one’s business but yours. They shouldn’t be asking either. If you are giving them an answer, then you are looking (maybe subconsciously) for a reaction and boasting. You can shroud it as honestly and I am sure it is a truthful answer but really should just shouldn’t be said. I might be a but old fashioned and all this is my opinion of course.

If asked, I give the same answer as BCB.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    When talking to many other fisherman....mostly strangers about it they ask what I paid. I then tell them the number. They proceed to tell me that I paid too much, could have got a better deal on something else, I should have bought used....blah blah blah
    Why is it that some people are hell bent on pissing in someone else's cornflakes....lol
    Just like the responses you'll get here. plenty of guys telling you what they'd have done

When talking to many other fisherman....mostly strangers about it they ask what I paid. I then tell them the number. They proceed to tell me that I paid too much, could have got a better deal on something else, I should have bought used....blah blah blah
    Why is it that some people are hell bent on pissing in someone else's cornflakes....lol
    Unfortunately, it is that way with a lot more than boats! I have pretty much turned into a mute because of it.
    Some people ask questions just so they can argue with you to prove how smart they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    First of all it is no one’s business but yours. They shouldn’t be asking either. If you are giving them an answer, then you are looking (maybe subconsciously) for a reaction and boasting. You can shroud it as honestly and I am sure it is a truthful answer but really should just shouldn’t be said. I might be a but old fashioned and all this is my opinion of course.

If asked, I give the same answer as BCB.
    Nothing like that....I know when I was looking to purchase my boat I wanted to get an idea of costs of different boats so I would ask just as a research tactic.
    I couldn't care less what they think of me or their reaction, I don't need to boast....as I stated before I shared info thinking I was helping someone.
    FYI...I no longer share the price.
    Boatless

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstandiford View Post
    I would tell them about 30 percent less just to make them wonder. Lol. Enjoy the new boat!
    If ever encountered like that I would tell them 30% more and watch their heads explode.

If it bothers you so much maybe you should tell them it's none of their business. Or could say north of 40, that's what I tell people that ask how fast my boat is.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

7. Member
    You know it is funny because I rarely answer that question myself. even when asked. See there is this little dirt sidestreet by my house that noone lives on. One day I saw the boat parked there and thought.. that is weird. After about 3 days I started wondering why it was there so I went over and looked at it. It looked like it was right off the dealer floor. Another 2-3 days and I was very confused. I knew there was a big storm coming that night so I hooked the boat up and put in my garage after I left a sign that said I moved your boat due to the storm. Nobody called or said anything so after a week or so I went and started looking around. I found the keys in a locker and said WTH and started using it in lieu of storage fees. Been waiting for someone to contact me since.

Just answer back, "well, It's was cheaper then my 42 foot Freeman with quad 300's. And also cheaper then my new Beechcraft bonanza airplane."

Conversation Over.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Just answer back, "well, It's was cheaper then my 42 foot Freeman with quad 300's. And also cheaper then my new Beechcraft bonanza airplane."

Conversation Over.
    Boatless

10. Member
    I tell them I paid cash cause that's what I did paid cash for my 2014 z521c and the look is worth every cent.50th Birthday present to myself.

Why would you be talking to strangers about buying a new boat?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    Why would you be talking to strangers about buying a new boat?
    I know when I was looking to purchase my boat I wanted to get an idea of costs of different boats so I would ask just as a research tactic.
    As I stated before I shared info thinking I was helping someone.
    FYI...I no longer share the price.
    Boatless

13. Member
    I have a neighbor like that. He wheels and deals on cars. I don't ask but he tells me what he paid for a vehicle, what he put into it, and what he sold it for. Most times the story is incomplete. To hear him tell it he came out smelling like a rose on all these deals. He's happy, and it's none of my business which is why I don't ask. He wanted me to tell him what I paid for my outboard so he could demonstrate his polite disapproval. So I told him. It was fun watching him trying to be polite while at the same time trying to subtly imply that I got screwed or paid too much. Funny.

I think it is common for people to pay too much for a product. There is always some meat on the bone and everyone is not going to get it, nor are they entitled to it. It's also really common for people to feel like they got a "great deal". Some do , some don't.

I've got a pretty good chunk of change tied up in my 12 year old boat but it's paid for and I'm satisfied.
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I've always said, "probably too much but it's worth it"

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

Conversation Over.
    That is a good one!!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

16. #FRB
    A guy told me one time if I paid more than something like $14000 for my boat I paid too much cuz he saw one just like it in the BPS catalog. I then said "you mean the one they advertise with a 40hp so they can advertise it at that lower price point you saw?" This same guy will insist he's right and you're wrong until you put money on the table to make things interesting then be backs off like a coward.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

17. Member
    Three simple words...Haters Gonna Hate...
    "Semper Fi"
    USMC (ret)

18. Member
    Sorry, not related to this thread, when is your boat supposed to arrive?
    By the way, congrats!

...And how much did you pay?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Sorry, not related to this thread, when is your boat supposed to arrive?
    By the way, congrats!
    It's done, waiting for it to be shipped. Hopefully find out more today.

...And how much did you pay?
    "well, It's was cheaper then my 42 foot Freeman with quad 300's. And also cheaper then my new Beechcraft bonanza airplane."
    Boatless

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast