Ryan_8

Garmin UHD Imaging - Quality Issues

I have the GCV20 Sonar Box with the GT34UHD transducer. I have it paired to a 1242xsv unit. I have not been able to get the side/down imaging quality to be comparable to other brands. In fact, my old Lowrance HDS gen 2 had significantly better returns than my Garmin Being "Ultra high def" i expected a lot better product from Garmin. I have scanned brush piles I fish regularly and can hardly get the side scan to show anything. From what I could tell after messing with the unit, the only changes I can make is the contrast, brightness, and palette. Is there anything else I can do to improvement my quality? Is there a better transducer that I need to install? I currently have the most current software update. I primarily fish lake of the ozarks if that makes any difference. I love everything else about the units but am about ready to trade them in if I can't resolve the image quality. Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated.

2. Member
    Scroll speed. 4 works best for me. Also how far are you looking? The range of excellent detail on the GT34 is limited. You may want to look at a GT30 and forget about the UHD unless you are looking really close in.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Ryan_8
    I only scan about 50' out each way.

4. Banned
    In the end you just might not be pleased with Garmin's UHD. It's sub-par in terms of image quality when compared to HB and Lowrance. I run the GT34UHD as well and it's....barely acceptable. I don't get good returns from brush piles either. I know some spots with sunken logs. I can barely see them on my unit. I jump in my friends boat with Lowrance units and the logs are clear as day.

For me the best settings are scroll speed 5, contrast 73, brightness auto-med, TVG high.

I also have a GT52 connected as well. Hard to believe but I get better returns on the GT52 than I do the GT34, albeit those images are not as sharp.

5. Member
    I too went from gen2 hds1 to 1242xsv with gt34. Sorry but your disappointment is warranted. The DI is pretty good but SI is worthless, especially on soft targets. A HUGE tradeoff for the Panoptix lineup. Not sure about settings. Seems like playing with them wastes time and doesn’t help much. After you run the gt34 awhile you’ll get used to it’s limitations and adjust to it. I keep on thinking about getting a gt51 or gt30 for better SI but the ps30/31 Lvs32 combo has worked for me so far. I do miss seeing the crappie in the brush on SI though.
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

Quote Originally Posted by rschweissguth View Post
    I only scan about 50' out each way.
    The GT34 SideVu is depth-limited to about 25 feet. In water any deeper than this, the SideVu begins to fade out. If you frequently look for fish in water deeper than 25 feet, you need use the GT30.
    Garmin Pro Team