Lynx Merc Monitor Installation

On my 2020 Lynx with a Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s, I'm considering installing a Merc monitor. The Lynx already has SmartCraft Gauges. I was thinking of installing it under the switch panel as shown in the picture below but don't want to compromise the structural integrity of the console. I want to interface the Merc Monitor to Humminbird Solix through the NEMA 2000 interface. I know I could install a Mercury Gateway but the price difference between the Gateway and Merc Monitor is not that big. In retrospect, I should have installed the Merc Monitor in lieu of the SmartCraft tach. Has anybody installed another large display and does anyone see any issues with my proposed location?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    No problem with the location, except the bezel may not fit, but why not just replace the tach with the Merc Monitor? Unless the tach is needed to drive the other gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkertx3 View Post
    No problem with the location, except the bezel may not fit, but why not just replace the tach with the Merc Monitor? Unless the tach is needed to drive the other gauges.

4. Banned
    I replaced the tach on my 18 Lynx with a MercMonitor and connected via NMEA 2000 to my Lowrances. I think every boat with a Mercury should come with it.

We are not aware that Merc Monitor gauges give you substantial benefits over SmartCraft gauges. The lenses are also still plastic while SC gauges are glass.

6. Member
    Shouldn't be a problem. The gauge for my G2 is mounted there, just slightly further to the right.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

7. Member
    As recommended, I may just replace the one Tachometer SmartCraft with the MercMonitor Level 2 gauge if the MercMonitor is too large to fit in available console space. Another option is to just install a Mercury Gateway, which does not include a gauge, that will provide all available engine data to my Humminbird via a NMEA 2000 interface.

BBC asked about the benefits of MercMonitor. The MercMonitor can display multiple display parameters while the SmartCraft displays RPM and one parameter. The Level 1 , 2 and 3 MercMonitors also output NMEA 2000 to interface with your fish finder. I like to see all parameters (e.g. RPM, MPH, Depth, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, GPH, MPH) being displayed at one time on the fish finder. I would install a level 2 display. Here are the possible display parameters with Level 1 and Level 2.

• MercMonitor Base Model (Data Level 1) with eight NMEA 2000 gateway in/out features
    • MercMonitor RPM Smart Tow (Data Level 2) with 19 NMEA 2000 gateway in/out features

Level 1—Base Model (single engine, NMEA 2000 support selectable):
    · RPM
    · Voltage
    · Oil pressure
    · Coolant temperature
    · Fuel tank level percent
    · Fluid level percent (fuel 2, oil, water, waste)
    · Trim position
    · Water pressure
    · Check engine alarm
    Level 2—RPM Smart Tow Model (single engine, NMEA 2000 support selectableThe :
    · RPM
    · Voltage
    · Oil pressure
    · Coolant temperature
    · Fuel tank level percent
    · Fuel flow
    · Engine hours
    · Boost pressure
    · Oil temperature
    · Fluid level percent (fuel 2, oil, water, waste)
    · Trim position
    · Water pressure
    · Check engine alarm
    · Tabs
    · GPS speed/COG/latitude, longitude (in only)
    · Depth
    · Seawater temperature
    · Paddle wheel speed
    · Pitot speed
    There is also a less expensive ECO MercMonitor gauge that doesn’t include a NMEA 2000 output.

I have used all you listed. Forget the the Basic/Econ/Level 0 Mercmonitor. The Level 1 is the best bang for your buck. The level 2 doesn’t do much more than the Level 1 on a bassboat. The list you have is not correct. For example, I know for a fact you can get GPS in via NMEA 2000 on a Level 1.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have used all you listed. Forget the the Basic/Econ/Level 0 Mercmonitor. The Level 1 is the best bang for your buck. The level 2 doesn’t do much more than the Level 1 on a bassboat. The list you have is not correct. For example, I know for a fact you can get GPS in via NMEA 2000 on a Level 1.
    The Level 1 and 2 parameters came from a Mercury Owners manual at the following link: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...s/mercmonitor/

I’m also interested in displaying fuel flow to optimize fuel economy when cruising. Level 1 parameter list doesn’t show fuel flow as an NMEA output. The only negative I see is with the MercMonitor plastic bezel.

We were aware of the options offered in a MercMonitor, though we are not sure that was the reason they were making that decision and we are not sure it’s worth the cost for those abilities when a NMEA Gateway will perform those NMEA functions.

The bezels are all plastic, the Gauge Face is glass on SC Gauges and it is Plastic Or acrylic On the MercMonitor.

Quote Originally Posted by John__S View Post
    The Level 1 and 2 parameters came from a Mercury Owners manual at the following link: https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...s/mercmonitor/

I’m also interested in displaying fuel flow to optimize fuel economy when cruising. Level 1 parameter list doesn’t show fuel flow as an NMEA output. The only negative I see is with the MercMonitor plastic bezel.
    The Level 1 shows fuel flow as well too. I have not used the Speedo and Tach so cannot comment on it versus the Mercmonitor. I will say the Level 1 and 2 Mercmonitors and both are easy to read in direct sun.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    I get the engine NMEA data on my lowrance from my smartcraft tach and gauges. I prefer the analog display over the mercmonitor LED, and put the digital data overlay on my lowrance running screen, especially when the sun is hitting the merc monitor LED direct and you cant read it, like say when you're pushing 80 and your eyeballs are bouncing around.

13. Banned
    I just recently installed a level 1 MercMonitor. Like BCB stated I’m not a huge fan of the plastic lens, but hopefully I’ll get a good lifetime out of it since the boat stays in the shop. I also installed a digital trim sender, which I really like. I can get the trim reading in the MercMonitor and also my Lowrance. The downside now is that my analog trim gauge doesn’t work. I really would like to have a backup trim gauge which has me thinking about replacing the three analog gauges (PSI, Trim and Fuel) over to black smart craft gauges. Does anyone know where a good place to pick up smartcraft gauges.
    9EE0A3FF-A805-4912-B386-CE3C4C32DC8D.jpeg

14. Member
    Your local Mercury dealer should be able to get them for you.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We were aware of the options offered in a MercMonitor, though we are not sure that was the reason they were making that decision and we are not sure it’s worth the cost for those abilities when a NMEA Gateway will perform those NMEA functions.

The bezels are all plastic, the Gauge Face is glass on SC Gauges and it is Plastic Or acrylic On the MercMonitor.
    Agree. When I was first looking at a Level 2 Merc Monitor the cost differential was not that great with the Merc Gateway. Today the cost difference is much greater. I may just go with the gateway and forego the drilling of a big 3 3/8 hole in the console for the Merc Monitor.