Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up Finally made it down to Candlewood Lake, that place is awesome

Went down a couple of weeks ago, and got to fish with Derek, the owner at Beast Coast Fishing. Bit different tackling a lake of that size when you've got a local to show you around! Kind of a slow day for what Candlewood typically produces, but we still had a good day of it with some fat smallies, and a few big largies to boot too. Jerkbaits and the Beast Coast's new Hustler hybrid finesse jig stole the show, with the Hustler putting in both of our biggest largemouth for the day. Two of our friends that call that place home were out there that same day as well, and they caught a 4.85 lb largemouth on that same bait too. Not too shabby, Candyland. Can't wait to go back there, that lake is amazing. Bit hectic even for how early in the season we were there, but looking forward to coming back the grass is back in full, and everything is in post spawn mode.

Fun place to fish! Have had some amazing days there!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A bit hectic? Wait until it warms up, you have no idea. It is an amazing fishery though.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Fun place to fish! Have had some amazing days there!
    So glad I finally made the trip down. It's a long drive for me, just a hair under 3 hours and 165 miles. Pretty much straight highway too, which is sooo boring. Makes for a somewhat nerve wracking drive home after a really long day.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    A bit hectic? Wait until it warms up, you have no idea. It is an amazing fishery though.
    I'm trying to keep an optimistic outlook so I don't convince myself not to go back. Derek and our other friends warned me about how bad it really does get down there in the summer, but I'm trying not to think about it. I don't want it to hold me back from going back there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    So glad I finally made the trip down. It's a long drive for me, just a hair under 3 hours and 165 miles. Pretty much straight highway too, which is sooo boring. Makes for a somewhat nerve wracking drive home after a really long day.

I'm trying to keep an optimistic outlook so I don't convince myself not to go back. Derek and our other friends warned me about how bad it really does get down there in the summer, but I'm trying not to think about it. I don't want it to hold me back from going back there this year.
    Go weekdays, october its great too.
    One of the most interesting on water events for me happened on Nov. Fishing along, a guy in a big house raking leaves, we get to his property line, he walks in to the water like a zombie, swins out to the boat and does the breast stroke as I kick the tm to high. Gets out of the water at the property line an goes inside. Not a single word was said. I was just weird. Fall is my favorite time on Candlewood and Lilly. Zoar is fun too.

6. Member
    One of the most interesting on water events for me happened on Nov. Fishing along, a guy in a big house raking leaves, we get to his property line, he walks in to the water like a zombie, swins out to the boat and does the breast stroke as I kick the tm to high. Gets out of the water at the property line an goes inside. Not a single word was said. I was just weird. Fall is my favorite time on Candlewood and Lilly. Zoar is fun too.
    that would spook the hell out of me haha
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

7. Member
    Definitely community hole points. Cool vid. Try to avoid weekends in the summer for sure

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    Definitely community hole points. Cool vid. Try to avoid weekends in the summer for sure
    Damn, likely won't be going down again then until the fall. Don't have enough vacation time to get down there midweek this year unfortunately.

Nice job. Looked like you had a great time
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

10. Member
    Did Derek fall out half way through? He just disappear.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Nice job. Looked like you had a great time
    Thanks Tim!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Did Derek fall out half way through? He just disappear.
    He had to leave a little earlier than I was planning to, forgot to put a note in the video. Also lost his audio after the first hour of recording too, which was unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    that would spook the hell out of me haha
    I was just dumbfounded, to say anything but very weird. Not to mention the water was 40ish.

Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Damn, likely won't be going down again then until the fall. Don't have enough vacation time to get down there midweek this year unfortunately.
    And if you do go back in the summer check the lake regulations as there are speed limits on certain days and the local cops use radar on the lake. I used to fish some club tournaments on Candlewood and the lake patrol liked to write tickets for anything they could find. And a lot of the homeowners hate bass fishermen, that is always entertaining with the motion activated sprinklers. Still worth it though, had some memorable fall days on Candlewood.

And if you do go back in the summer check the lake regulations as there are speed limits on certain days and the local cops use radar on the lake. I used to fish some club tournaments on Candlewood and the lake patrol liked to write tickets for anything they could find. And a lot of the homeowners hate bass fishermen, that is always entertaining with the motion activated sprinklers. Still worth it though, had some memorable fall days on Candlewood.
    I can attest to this, I got shaken down for no reason. Safety check went through everything.

At one pont they made a rule tournament could not launch at first light, time was late like 8am, had to TM out of the cove, before starting big motor. That was years ago, but made it a pain to have s tournament.

16. Member
    I can attest to this, I got shaken down for no reason. Safety check went through everything.

At one pont they made a rule tournament could not launch at first light, time was late like 8am, had to TM out of the cove, before starting big motor. That was years ago, but made it a pain to have s tournament.
    Noted, thank you both for the heads up. Really looking forward to going back in the fall.

Yep, I was hassled in the ramp parking lot because the local Barney Fife didn't like how my license plate was affixed to my trailer. I am OK with the way they managed tournaments to avoid back ups at the ramps and such, and even having to use the trolling motor to make the way out to the big lake so as not to wake the local populace. Motors back then made a lot of noise at start up, had to rev them up so they wouldn't die and all the blue smoke!! Times have changed.

18. Member

19. Member
    The speed limit is 45 mph during the day and 25 mph starting 30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise.

Regarding homeowners not liking bass fisherman, that's never been my experience. Candlewood is really the only lake I fish and I have never once had an issue with a homeowner. I even get the occasional applause or thumbs up when I catch a fish right off someone's dock.

The wake boats are a nuisance, a danger even, and there are so many anglers you're bound to come across some that have no etiquette. Other guys in bass boats blasting across the hump you're fishing, or like this weekend, staying on plane and cutting between you and shore as you cast up onto a point are unfortunately not uncommon occurrences. You'd think the bass boat guys would know to give more room.

That is weird for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast