Thread: Gas tank issue

Gas tank issue

Posted this on BCB board but seems to be much more traffic here. Just bought 2015 Puma and port gas tank seems to have intermittent leak around vent valve. Stain was evident on port tank (see pic) while starboard tank looks fine. Filled up port tank until pump clicked off by auto on way to lake last week then did not draw from it. Got home and there seemed to be a little gas on top of tank. One guy said he finds a little gas gets into the vent line when he lets pump shut off itself when filling. Is this a common problem? What can I check for myself before taking to a shop for repair?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BoBo; 05-20-2020 at 01:27 PM.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Ozark Mountain Anglers Bass Club
    Columbia, MO

2. Member
    My 2016 has never done anything like the photo you show. That would scare the crap out of me, especially when I was plugging and un plugging the battery charger. I guess whomever had it never had an issue, but I would get that boat somewhere and get it looked at before I used it again.

3. Member
    For sure, I am very concerned. I made sure to plug the cord into the charger before plugging it into wall socket.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Columbia, MO

4. Member
    Good plan for plugging the charger.
    I know BassCat has an opinion. I am interested to see what they say.
    I have never seen an issue like that posted here.

Call Bass Cat, that’s not right.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Ditto call them as that needs to be sorted out.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
    Posted this on BCB board but seems to be much more traffic here. Just bought 2015 Puma and port gas tank seems to have intermittent leak around vent valve. Stain was evident on port tank (see pic) while starboard tank looks fine. Filled up port tank until pump clicked off by auto on way to lake last week then did not draw from it. Got home and there seemed to be a little gas on top of tank. One guy said he finds a little gas gets into the vent line when he lets pump shut off itself when filling. Is this a common problem? What can I check for myself before taking to a shop for repair?
    Have the same issue with my 2015 Eyra. It is worse when you fill the tank and it is hot outside. That grey cap is call the Fuel Demand Valve and can be replaced. The part is $47.25 and easy to swap out. It should fix your issue. I'm waiting on the part to get to me so I can swap it out and be done with the problem. Until then, run the port tank out first so it has room to breath and doesn't leak out. Call Parts department and he will get you fixed up and a part sent out.

Bobo, they had a few tanks with sealing issues around the fixture molded into the tank there, but not many. The attwood fuel valve has an o ring on it and its retained by that big clip, I would put a whole new valve on there to start, and check where the brass fixture for the barbed fuel line end connection screws in, I have seen it crack there as well. Ajax will remove the stain (some what) and you can continue to re monitor it after the valve replacement. I will also give you another piece of advice about the fuel tanks getting a lot of pressure in hot days. Ill send you a pm about that.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

Moeller fuel tank company has provided us a kit for that situation and the Warranty service crew will be glad to assist you and would prefer your dealership. Last nights moderator did answer you on the Bass Cat Owners Board forum.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Moeller fuel tank company has provided us a kit for that situation and the Warranty service crew will be glad to assist you and would prefer your dealership. Last nights moderator did answer you on the Bass Cat Owners Board forum.
    Wow, do you folks do this in "shifts"?

We have several moderators.

12. Member
    I believe this is somewhat common. My 2014 Puma port tank has leaked since new. The dealer tried fixing it, didn't. I contacted Basscat and Richard sent me the "kit" to fix it and I installed it. The "kit" slowed the leak to a seep, but didn't stop it. I believe the tank and valve need replacing to fix the problem, there is a defect in the tank molding. I have not pursued it any further with Basscat, I appreciate their help thus far. I may call Alan and check the cost and replace the tank-valve myself. I posted this on the owners board at the time and there were several guys with the problem. My opinion, Moeller needs to step up and provide replacement tanks instead of a kit to correct this problem, my 2 cents, Dave
    Last edited by dabro; 05-22-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dabro View Post
    I believe this is somewhat common. My 2014 Puma port tank has leaked since new. The dealer tried fixing it, didn't. I contacted Basscat and Richard sent me the "kit" to fix it and I installed it. The "kit" slowed the leak to a seep, but didn't stop it. I believe the tank and valve need replacing to fix the problem, there is a defect in the tank molding. I have not pursued it any further with Basscat, I appreciate their help thus far. I may call Alan and check the cost and replace the tank-valve myself. I posted this on the owners board at the time and there were several guys with the problem. My opinion, Moeller needs to step up and provide replacement tanks instead of a kit to correct this problem, my 2 cents, Dave
    PM sent on one last thing to try
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

14. Member
    Thanks for the advice, all. I will get the kit and hope for the best. The dealer is 6+ hours away so I will be on my own. I ran the tank down to near empty yesterday. That assembly is a bit loose a few mm play in rotation while there is no movement whatsoever on the Starboard tank. I wonder about the charger cord being there. Maybe over time that being pulled on each time to charge caused that fuel valve assembly on the tank to loosen. Seems like the port tank is most often the one affected, but maybe that is coincidence.
    BoBo the Bass Doc
    2015 BassCat Puma
    Columbia, MO

15. Member
    This thread prompted me to take a good look at mine. This is what I found. Leaking, but not badly.

leak.jpg
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S