Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do you know 41% of U.S. Covid deaths from nursing/long term care facilities?

81% of Canadian Covid deaths from nursing/long term care. This absolutely is horrifying to me. I had no idea. How is this even possible given a health care environment ran by professionals trained in the medical field. I am thinking most have no idea that this is occurring.

Please dont comment negatively. Pass on the info.

2. Member
    A lot of these facilities are not being safe. The caretakers will wear the same gloves for hours going from room to room. That is how it spreads. Have a close friend that worked at one when she was just out of school. Said they were told not to use too many gloves or other things. It is truly sad that this has happened to our elderly.

Our area has a home that has had a LOT of deaths from covid. A true shame.
    Semper Fi

3. Member
    My neighbor county has like 50 deaths from a Home, that is out of 150 cases county wide, at one time their help had about 15 off from work with it.

4. Member
    Nursing homes are just sad....ran by medical professionals would be the last way I’d describe them down here.

Your nursing homes are run by trained medical staff ?

6. Banned
    I figured it was higher... They've got a fertile environment... Above 65 yrs of age, most if not all have some sort of pre-existing medical condition and living in close quarters... The perfect breeding ground for mass infections... Dan

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Over 70 died in one veteran's home in Holyoke, MA. In addition to the residents, many workers at long-term care facilities have also died. Most of these folks are very low wage employees and there has been a lack of protective gear. There are fewer highly trained professionals in these type of facilities than you might expect. Many have a single nurse on duty for one, maybe two shifts per day. And it is difficult to get information about any outbreaks due to privacy laws that protect businesses from having to release information. We can do better.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Seems to me that a we should be putting a mass of resources into addressing this right now.

It's extremely sad, but many nursing homes are the perfect storm for this disease. Residents are in fairly close contact with each other, they are typically older, they have preexisting conditions, many of them are not particularly clean.

10. Member
    If people my age (71) and above would take the necessary precautions we would not have much of an issue.

Our government is saying that there won't be any privately run nursing homes when this is all over.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Our government is saying that there won't be any privately run nursing homes when this is all over.
    That might be a good thing.
    John the Garage Doorman

I just cant figure out how come this is not being addressed as a #1 priority by our governments. I cant state my true feeling but thought its just best to make people aware.

14. Banned
    I work in three nursing homes and am not surprised one bit.To me it seems like these places get the B scale of nurses.And to add to it the ethnic majority that work in these places fall right in line with the major cases of ethnic outbreak.At least in the Chicagoland area.

15. Member
    after what happened up in your town I cant imagine how they can let that place re-open under the same management.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

Where will the put the people who need nursing homes ? In hospitals ?

17. Member
    Hardest hit ones in the US are the state run facilities. Go walk around a nursing home where the majority of residents are on Medicaid. It will make a grown man cry.

18. Banned
    My wife’s cousin is in charge of a nursing home here, they tested all the staff as a precaution (this was weeks back) and 2 of the workers tested positive, but were asymptomatic. That’s how it gets in there, people don’t know they have it. They are now testing workers every 3 weeks....How many people could you infect in 3 weeks???

About half of Texas Covid deaths are nursing home related.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Seems to me that a we should be putting a mass of resources into addressing this right now.

Georgia brought in the National Guard to deep clean all nursing facilities.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    Hardest hit ones in the US are the state run facilities. Go walk around a nursing home where the majority of residents are on Medicaid. It will make a grown man cry.
    Agree, two patients in a tight room. Both patients will have health issues or they wouldn’t be there. The home staff comes and goes every day. They typically make less than 10.00 an hour. 7,500 a month for that care is pretty common here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast