Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    mine will be ordered soon also!!!!! let me know how your do and what you do to hold them in place!
    I put them in my tin boat and just used two pieces of insulation foam to wedge them in:

Attachment 409909
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

2. Member
    [QUOTE=Whitaker201;11130508]I put them in my tin boat and just used two pieces of insulation foam to wedge them in:

are the quick disconnects a charger? if so what brand model?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

They came with the charger from Amped Outdoors. I bought 2 batteries and 2 chargers.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitaker201 View Post
    They came with the charger from Amped Outdoors. I bought 2 batteries and 2 chargers.
    keep me/us updated as you get some time on them please!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

5. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    pardon my ignorance, but I am very novis on this. I guess I would be correct in assuming that the 31 would be the better of the two for a 24 V Ultrex? I’m guessing it provides a little more power and time?
    Correct. When I upgrade my batteries and add an Ultrex I will probably go with that 27 AGM.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Interstate series 27 DC will cost you about 125.00 or 250.00 for a pair, which is still 100.00 cheaper than 1 lithium battery (359) without needing to change your entire set up for charging or keeping them in place.
    If you're going with group 27s, you could also get Everstarts for like $80 a piece and end up with the exact same batteries for nearly $100 less, unless the green case is worth something to you. Interstate SRM = Everstar Maxx. Not similar, but exactly the same battery. Johnson Controls deep cycles.

I prefer East Penn batteries, so have been using Sam's Club Duracells with a lot of luck. They're the same batteries as Dekas but are significantly cheaper.

Regarding some of the other stuff above....AGMs are true dual purpose batteries, they hold up to deep discharges and can provide good cranking amps, so are suitable as cranking batteries and/or trolling motor batteries. They also are sealed so can be mounted more ways, and of course don't need water to be checked. With some exceptions at the very top of the line, they often don't have any more capacity than similarly sized wet cells, but usually hold up to more cycles (read: last longer) and of course have the maintenance free and true dual purpose benefit. Between my motor being an older Merc with a stator that apparently doesn't play nice with AGMs (stators aren't cheap, so I'm not finding out for myself) and what I see as the cost-benefit tradeoff between wet cell and AGM, I've personally stuck with wet cells across the board. Others have different ideas on how that plays out and of course different requirements, so what's good for one might not be the best for all.

I'm also not sure I've actually ever seen a gel battery in a marine setting. Though I'm sure they exist and someone somewhere has them, I think a lot of folks think gel batteries are the same as AGMs which is not the case.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    If you're going with group 27s, you could also get Everstarts for like $80 a piece and end up with the exact same batteries for nearly $100 less, unless the green case is worth something to you. Interstate SRM = Everstar Maxx. Not similar, but exactly the same battery. Johnson Controls deep cycles.

I prefer East Penn batteries, so have been using Sam's Club Duracells with a lot of luck. They're the same batteries as Dekas but are significantly cheaper.

Regarding some of the other stuff above....AGMs are true dual purpose batteries, they hold up to deep discharges and can provide good cranking amps, so are suitable as cranking batteries and/or trolling motor batteries. They also are sealed so can be mounted more ways, and of course don't need water to be checked. With some exceptions at the very top of the line, they often don't have any more capacity than similarly sized wet cells, but usually hold up to more cycles (read: last longer) and of course have the maintenance free and true dual purpose benefit. Between my motor being an older Merc with a stator that apparently doesn't play nice with AGMs (stators aren't cheap, so I'm not finding out for myself) and what I see as the cost-benefit tradeoff between wet cell and AGM, I've personally stuck with wet cells across the board. Others have different ideas on how that plays out and of course different requirements, so what's good for one might not be the best for all.

I'm also not sure I've actually ever seen a gel battery in a marine setting. Though I'm sure they exist and someone somewhere has them, I think a lot of folks think gel batteries are the same as AGMs which is not the case.
    So if I go to Sam’s Club and get the Duracell should I get the 27‘s or the 31s? considering my set up, I understand if I go 27th to get the ever starts, i’m just trying to figure out if I should go with the 31s.

8. Member
    So if I go to Sam’s Club and get the Duracell should I get the 27‘s or the 31s? considering my set up, I understand if I go 27th to get the ever starts, i’m just trying to figure out if I should go with the 31s.

27 plenty but if you have room and money go for the 31's-- i have always used 27's but will have two amped outdoors soon to replace them
    MAGA

Never a bad idea to get the biggest you can fit. I'd *personally* get Duracells whether going with group 27s or 31s (29s - same thing and I think the big Duracell deep cycles are actually marked as group 29s), but I prefer the East Penn batteries to Johnson Controls batteries (such as Interstate, Everstart, lots of others).

Lots of guys run group 27s without issue, I'd just rather have too much and not need it than not enough when I do need it. Plus, the bigger batteries are always going to be discharged less in a given day than smaller ones. Since deeper discharges are what kill lead batteries, the larger ones last longer.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    I took my batteries out, the trays are from T&H Marine specifically for group 27. As mentioned earlier I could just trim the trays, but then I’m always going to be wondering if they could slide. So, I went ahead and ordered group 31 trays from T&H Marine, they will be here tomorrow. The stickers on my interstate batteries indicate they were purchased in May 2017, so they are only three years old. They’re probably not completely worn out, but they wear down faster than I want them to, so I think I’ll go ahead and go with the Duracell group 31 AGM from Sam’s. There may be better batteries out there, but everything I hear about these seem to be a good battery, especially for the money. I will be anxious to see how they perform, thanks everybody for the input and advice.

Think of a battery as your bank account, deposit, withdrawals and maximum balance on payday, A high balance and lower
    withdrawals keeps the account in good shape, the same goes for batteries
    Deposits=Battery charging
    withdrawals=trolling motor running making
    withdrawals at a steady low rate of a high rate
    Balance=Watts available after
    withdrawals, Balance is limited by the reserve capacity of the battery when full charged
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-25-2020 at 06:16 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Think of a battery as your bank account, deposit, withdrawals and maximum balance on payday, A high balance and lower
    withdrawals keeps the account in good shape, the same goes for batteries
    Deposits=Battery charging
    withdrawals=trolling motor running making
    withdrawals at a steady low rate of a high rate
    Balance=Watts available after
    withdrawals, Balance is limited by the reserve capacity of the battery when full charged
    Once again Leon, you have summed it up in a nutshell with very simple hypothetical scenario.
    Balance=Watts available after withdrawals. Balance is limited by the reserve capacity of the battery when full charged

13. Member
    Thanks, since I’ve been taking big withdrawals, I guess I need a bigger balance. Hopefully the group 31 AGM batteries will be a large enough deposit. My Boat sits in storage, on battery tenders 100% of the time other than when I have it out fishing. I’m just demanding too much for the batteries I have. This thread has taught me a lot about batteries, thanks to everybody.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    I've always been a flooded wet cell guy. How long, approximately, is "forever"?
    The last set of AGM's I had (cabelas brand) lasted 8+ years. Running duracells now and very pleased.

15. Member
    I have the Deka Intimidator group 31 AGM they are pricey they are very heavy but I am on my six year of use and can't wear them out in a full day of fishing will buy again

16. Member
    I installed the Duracell 31s from Sam’s today. I had to purchase the group 31 battery trays from TH marine. Had to trim just a little bit off of one corner, otherwise they fit right in. It’ll be a while before I get a chance to test them out I have a few obligations I have to meet

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigman51 View Post
    The 60 amp hour lithium batteries are starting to get within reason. From a thread earlier this week, I saved this link. You would need 2 60AH batteries and they are $359 each. There was a member on here who said he could save you some money on that, can't remember his name at the moment.
    https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/boat-batteies
    Wow, wish I would have known about this before I plunked down $300 for a new 31 AGM. About 60 lbs lighter too!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Wow, wish I would have known about this before I plunked down $300 for a new 31 AGM. About 60 lbs lighter too!!
    a 60 AH lithium is 359.00
    a 85 AH( group 27) AGM 159.00

19. Member
    I have 2 of the Duracell ultra agm’s group 31s for my Ultrex 80! Fished plenty of 10 hour days with no problems! Plus I can recharge and be ready next morning!

20. Member
    Wonderful discussion...👍

I'm nearing the end of a complete refurb of my boat. Like yourself I was very concerned about my batteries sliding around, especially since I had a brand new (literally) DC TM battery melt at the post. Yes, it was firmly connected.... I don't know what happened other than a pretty hard day of use and a defective battery.

Anyway, I thought about how to really eliminate slide and came up with a solution that I THINK will end it once and for all.

I purchased two of the biggest composite cutting boards Walmart stocks. I cut them in to two pieces so as to fit the battery boxes (not enough room to keep the board in one piece and fit in the bottom of the well) with enough room to mount them to the bottom of the battery well.

I then used a LOT of heavy duty/Lg rivets to attach the box to the boards.

I then attached the boards to the bottom of the battery well leaving enough room to lift the batteries out of the boxes for removal from the boat.

Works really well and the batteries simply can't move once secured to the box.

Just an idea that might help you.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12