Thread: Mullet lake

Mullet lake

Gonna try mullet in the next few days for the first time. Gonna fish Black lake first then Mullet the next day. Any advice would be appreciated. I have fished black a few times but never Mullet. I know it is a clear body of water with flats leading out to dropoffs but thats about the extent of my knowledge.

Good luck. I wanted to hit Black last time I was there, but didn't have time to make it over there. Burt is really clear and lot of the fish bed deep in that lake. I didn't make it into Mullet, but when I was doing research I heard the channel between the two can be really good. I fished Crooked Lake at the far end a couple times. Stuck some pretty good smallmouth in that one in the reeds. Best 5 was around 23 lbs. Good luck. Looking forward to hearing how you do.

3. Member
    Water is still pretty chilly up here on Mullett. The fish should still be hanging mostly on the drop offs but with the warm sunny days should be pushing up on the flats and rocky areas during the day time. Basically look for any structure you can find, rocks or scattered wood that'll hold some warmth when the sun comes up. Personally I wouldn't waste my time fishing the Indian River between Burt and Mullett. The Cheboygan River and Black River are wider and deeper and can fish well though for smallmouth and good largemouth.

4. Member
    Wish i had checked the post b4 we left this morning. Went to black lake this morning and fished the northwest side near the river and managed a half a dozen out of the reeds and a few pike. Fished till 1130 then we headed over to see mullet. Wow, something about that crystal clear water is amazing. Didn't have a clue so we tried the east side and seen some bass cruising but weren't interested in what we were throwing. Then went to north end and managed a couple 2 lbers on shallow flats on swimbaits. It was more of a exploring trip cause I always wanted to see what it looked like. Temps reached mid 50s by the time we left. Tried jerkbaits, swimbaits, and spinnerbaits so we could cover a lot of water. I was surprised at how little structure that we came across as far as rocks and things. Didn't see a whole lot of water in the few hours that we fished it. Next time it will be an all day affair and maybe I can find someone with a little experience with the lake. We all know it takes a lot of time and commitment to learn a lake. Can't expect much in just a few hours fishing.

5. Member
    Fished Mullett yesterday. We had our best luck on the west side. Anything with a dark bottom whether it be the short sand grass/marl bottom or scattered logs. Caught all our fish on slow rolling small swimbaits in 3-7 foot of water. Smallest was 3lb up to 5.5lb. Saw lots of cruising fish too.

Quote Originally Posted by dricha21 View Post
    Gonna try mullet in the next few days for the first time. Gonna fish Black lake first then Mullet the next day. Any advice would be appreciated. I have fished black a few times but never Mullet. I know it is a clear body of water with flats leading out to dropoffs but thats about the extent of my knowledge.
    Water Level on my site.

7. Member
    Anyone have any updates on Mullet? thanks

8. Member
    I was out yesterday. Water temps were 58-62. Gonna be going up with warm stable weather. Lots of fish up but still not at peak yet.

9. Member
    Great, thanks for the update

10. Member
    I'm coming up there the 3rd week of July to spend the week with a good buddy, rented a cabin right on the lake. Fishing, drinking beer, playing cards, guy stuff. It's been almost 20 years since the last time I was up there. Good information to have, this thread came up at the right time as I was going to ask.

11. Member
    Water on Mullett warmed up a lot over the past few days. The shallows are in the mid 60s by the afternoon hours. This next week the lake will probably be at spawn peak.

was out friday and Saturday, south end was 67 ish and north end was 63. Fish are up shallow and i agree, spawning peak should be this week. I Did find some fry, so there are some that are done already

13. Member
    Bumping this, will be there in less than 3 weeks and super excited about going. Open to reports.

14. Member
    Water temp yesterday was 70-75. Gonna be going up the next couple of weeks with 85+ degree temps forecasted long term. With the warm weather and increased boat traffic it'll push the fish deeper. Best to hit it early in the morning or in the evenings to get the best bite and avoid the crowds.

thanks! Will be up again in a couple weeks, cant wait!

16. Member
    Also just FYI the swimmers itch seems to be pretty bad in the lakes up here currently in some areas of the lakes.

Ah damn...the kids arent gonna be happy! Thanks for the heads up

18. Member
    Leaving in 2 days, any fishing updates to share?

19. Member
    I haven't been out in a bit due to a broken boat and hot hot Temps. Last time I was out surface temps were in the low 80s. I would expect it currently to be upper 70s to 80. Fishing wise I have zero info on the current bite conditions. Boat is fixed but weather and work have gotten in the way this week.

20. Member
    On the plus side we've had some wind to stir up the water so the swimmers itch seems to have improved.