Auto bilge pump problem

I just replaced my auto bilge pump and have a problem. It comes on weather it is switched on or not. And also stays on even when there is no water in the bilge. I replaced the old one thinking the float was stuck, but this one is doing the same thing. I have to pull the fuse to keep it turned off. Any ideas? I have a 2004 519 VX with key pad. Not sure if the keypad is the problem or something else I am not thinking of.

the auto pump gets power from two sources. One is direct wired to the battery and comes on when the float switch gets tripped by rising water. The other source comes thru the dash switch and you can switch it on manually. Get a volt meter and check the readings at the plug to see if its on all the time.

Just had a thought, If you swapped the two hot wires when you installed it, it would run all the time.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. mikesxpress
    What pump setup do you have? Pictures?

4. Member
    I ordered the bilge pump from ranger. It came with the 3 prong quick connect already wired. It is the factory auto bilge but it has changed since. 800 gph and magnetic trigger instead of a float. I will test the wire if and see if somehow the wires got swapped.

5. mikesxpress
    Bench test the new magnetic pump assembly. I haven't had any luck with anything but the float type switch.

6. Member
    i just went thru this and the new one Ranger sends is a magnetic type auto bilge. my old was also a float type. the new one from ranger has a spot that you hold you finger on it to test it. just an fyi. thanks Troy.

When I changed mine this year I had the same problem. The two hot wires were switched in the plug on the new pump. I had to cut and re-splice.

8. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Yep, wires are switched. I got new bow light/horn assy for my 2000 and the wires were backwards on that too. At some point the wiring got changed on newer Rangers. I called the parts dept. to let them know about mine and they said they would pass it along to the wiring people.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67