HDS Lives Overheated

Fished all day Saturday and Sunday, weather was hot and sunny. New boat last fall, two HDS 9 Lives flush mounted in the bow and console.

Paraphrasing, I got a message mid dayish that my units were over hot, the units were turning down the brightness. I shut my units down and covered them with a wet towel to cool them down.

I turned them back on after about a half an hour and kept them partially covered with a damp towel the rest of the day and they worked fine.

This is the first really hot sunny weekend that Ive fished since I got my boat and its just mid May. I’m sure this is going to be a problem going forward if I don’t do something to reduce the heat. Now the units get hot just running. I’ve noticed that the screens get uncomfortably hot to the touch just during “normal” operation but I’ve never had them overheat to get the warning message I got.

I’m thinking I might pull my bow unit out and put it on a mount. That’ll get air flow all around the unit and should fix the overheating problem up front.

I like my console unit flush mounted, so I was thinking I might build some kind of sun screen to keep the direct sunlight off it.

Any of you guys ever have this happen, and what did you do to fix the problem?

2. Member
    how about get some air moving around them. Front flush mounted unit probably has little if any air movement on the back side, A rod locker fan that moves air into the front pocket would probably solve a lot of heat issues. Also just taking the screen brightness down a touch will reduce a lot of heat, gen 3, carbons all got hot screens on full brightness and would run cooler with the brightness turned down just a touch.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

3. Member
    The same thing happened to a friends,only his is mounted on a gimble and it was cool early April when it did it. The weekend before it happened it was on for a couple hours while we installed the lowrance outboard autopilot with no issues. The following weekend he calls me from the lake and tell me its overheating so he just shut it down thinking we had something installed wrong. When I had a chance to check it, it worked fine with no issues, This was a brand new unit and I bought one at the same time with no issues with mine,only difference is I'm using an Airmar transducer and he has the total scan(I think)that came with it
    I don't think its from a lack of air, as said his is on the bracket and it was in the low 50s when it happened,

Was the internal fan running

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Was the internal fan running
    I don’t think they have an internal fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball View Post
    I don’t think they have an internal fan
    Not sure if the 9s have them but 12 and 16 do

7. Banned
    Make sure backlight is off

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    YES!

9. Member
    [QUOTE=Rangerdawg;11126509]Make sure backlight is off[/QUOTE

The back light is off.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    I know this is an old thread but my 2019 HDS Live 9, which is flush mounted on the bow, showed an overheating warning my trip last week on the lake. It was a whopping 88°F outside at the time. With the overheating notice, it automatically reduced the brightness so the screen was hard to see in the sunlight. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an internal fan and in Settings, I couldn't find that it had a back light (sticker light) for me to turn off. Some of the older HDS units you could go to Settings-System-Advanced-Hardware and turn off the back light (sticker light). The HDS Live 9 doesn't have that Hardware setting.

My HDS Gen 2 and Gen 3 units never "overheated", at least I never got a warning like this.

If this overheating warning is popping up in error, does anyone know how to turn off the warning on a HDS Live unit? Thanks.

Howard Harris
    Phoenix, Arizona 85048
    2019 20'9" Ranger Z520C
    250 Mercury V8 Pro XS Four-Stroke/Serial #:2B644590
    Minn Kota Ultrex 36V 112LB 45"
    LiveScope LVS34 Plus & Garmin 102SV (Bow)
    LiveScanner Motorized Pole/RyTek Marine Bracket/Garmin LVS34 Plus Xducer)
    Lowrance HDS 9 Live (Bow)
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live (Driver's Console)
    Precision Sonar Plates, Brackets, and Gimbals
    23P Mercury Fury-3 Blade
    Email: azhohar@centurylink.net

Old thread but my HDS-16 live got hot today, just shut down… won’t power back up. Anyone have any ideas. I’ve unplugged it and it cooling off now.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R