Other than “That’s not what Yamaha Recommends”

What would be wrong with running Mobil 1 synthetic in an SHO? Mobil 1 is probably the most trusted synthetic oil o. The planet. Ford says to use only Motorcraft oil I. Their vehicles but very very few do. If Yamalube is that good why does GM not recommend it for a Corvette?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    What would be wrong with running Mobil 1 synthetic in an SHO? Mobil 1 is probably the most trusted synthetic oil o. The planet. Ford says to use only Motorcraft oil I. Their vehicles but very very few do. If Yamalube is that good why does GM not recommend it for a Corvette?
    If you motor is out of warranty it does not matter. If it is use Yamaha oil so that they do have an out on any future warranty claims that may come up.

3. Member
    My Sho is a 2010 and after a power head replacement in Jan. 2012 the motor oil used has been Mobil 1. Still running strong with 692 hrs.

So which Mobil 1 oil......I use 5w30 in my Silverado but sure that's not it. Maybe 10w30?

5. Member
    I've been running mobil 1 in our 4 stroke yamaha snowmobiles for 11 years.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

6. Member
    There is nothing wrong whatsoever with using Mobil 1 in a Yamaha SHO model as long as the oil meets the requirements specified in the owner's manual.

Yamaha recommends the use of the oil that it knows. Yamalube. This is not Yamaha saying however that other oils are not to be used.

Whoa, I just learned a lot of new information about outboard oils thanks to this question. In light of the FCw requirement by manufacturers (for good reasons) it makes most automotive motor oils not suitable for outboard use.
    https://www.boats.com/reviews/outboa...l-four-stroke/
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    Whoa, I just learned a lot of new information about outboard oils thanks to this question. In light of the FCw requirement by manufacturers (for good reasons) it makes most automotive motor oils not suitable for outboard use.
    https://www.boats.com/reviews/outboa...l-four-stroke/
    Theres no identification that I can find in the owners manual or the spec sticker near the oil fill that indicates the SHO requires tcw rated oil. Been running mobil 1 and pennzoil platinum in my SHO and F series yamaha for years. I buy it in bulk cause I use it in everything I own including small engine equipment and vehicles. The thing they dont tell you is that most of the higher quality oils would easily pass the tcw certification...

9. Member
    I would just run Bass pro's FC-W 4 stroke oil. It's cheaper than mobile 1 and FC-W approved.

Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    So which Mobil 1 oil......I use 5w30 in my Silverado but sure that's not it. Maybe 10w30?
    Anyone know the answer to this, wouldn't want to run the wrong stuff.

11. Member
    I’m sure that the Yamaha oil has additives to help with moisture.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen View Post
    I’m sure that the Yamaha oil has additives to help with moisture.
    One guy uses his SHO in Arizona. One guy uses his SHO in the Florida panhandle. Do they both need an oil additive to counter moisture?

13. Member
    I run Amsoil 4 stroke marine oil in my SHO. I use their oil in my truck too and have for years.

14. Member
    This is from 2004, before there were a lot FC-W oils out. It compares automotive oils to FC-W oils. The only thing is, now days they have reduced the amount of zinc in automotive oils.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...dukeOfOil.html
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL / Yamaha VF150

15. Member

16. Banned
    Is it really worth the few dollars ? Why not just use the yamalube oil Change kit. Easy that way there's no confusion...

17. Member
    If it meets your engines needs from a viscosity standpoint, Mobil1 4T motorcycle oil is the "best" over the counter oil for many applications. It's not a true 10w40, more like a 5w30 with great performance at high temperatures. It's far more consistent to pH changes, the additive package is superior, especially in applications that have hydraulically controlled cam-phasing.

It wasn't long ago I was working in a Cup engine shop, and we tested several dozen different shelf and custom formulations. 4T wasn't right for us at the time (flat tappets, 9k rpm etc) but it's phenomenal (IMO) for boats, especially inboard offshore racing engines.

With all that said, it really doesn't matter---BIG IF INBOUND--- IF you let your engine warmup PROPERLY, the cheapest Wallyworld oil (which is actually pretty decent) will never give you a problem. I can't remember the last time I've seen someone at the ramp do that, though. Usually I see- unload, park truck, fire boat off, idle 30ft, full throttle and here we go.

Pull up a viscosity chart of a 5w30 @50°F, 90°F and even 130°F. You'll probably putz around for 10min like I do, and it's even more critical in a 4 cycle.
    If you want to make an educated guess at changing oils, have your current oil sent off and tested ($30 or so) and determine need from there. Oil is voodoo to most folks, including many oil folks. If'n Papaw ran Pennzoil, and Mamaw ran Mobil, then by God that's what people believe is the best!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Is it really worth the few dollars ? Why not just use the yamalube oil Change kit. Easy that way there's no confusion...
    Yep, easy peasy. I also let my engine warm up before putting the throttle down.