HDS Gen3 / Live and Reefmaster Sidescan mosaics

I have recently been using Reefmaster to create AT5 contour maps and Sidescan Mosaics. I have no problem viewing the contour maps on my HDS3 or HDS Live units, but cannot find a way to display the Sidescan Mosaic, which Reefmaster creates as a "Shaded Relief" folder. The shaded relief menu option is turned on in the Gen3, but in the Live unit, that option is "grayed" out. Anyone have any experience with using these? Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    I have recently been using Reefmaster to create AT5 contour maps and Sidescan Mosaics. I have no problem viewing the contour maps on my HDS3 or HDS Live units, but cannot find a way to display the Sidescan Mosaic, which Reefmaster creates as a "Shaded Relief" folder. The shaded relief menu option is turned on in the Gen3, but in the Live unit, that option is "grayed" out. Anyone have any experience with using these? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Could Team Colibri weigh in on this? Would appreciate his input. Thanks.

3. Member
    Like you I have used it on my Gen 3 with great success, but I haven’t gotten around to use it on my Live yet. So not much input from me on this one.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Like you I have used it on my Gen 3 with great success, but I haven’t gotten around to use it on my Live yet. So not much input from me on this one.
    I can only visualize a sidescan mosaic on my Gen 3 by choosing the Lowrance Insight maps that were preloaded when I bought it, going to the lake in question, (which appears as just a blue body of water with no contours or details), and then go to the chart "category" menu and unchecking the "water" category. The mosaic appears on an otherwise blank screen.I cannot overlay it on top of a Navionics map, C-map, or even the C-map genesis map that I made myself. I also cannot figure out how to display a mosaic over a Reefmaster contour map that I created of the same lake. Any suggestions? Thanks.

5. Member
    Navionics and AT5 does not mix, ever.
    You could be able to overlay Mosaics over Genesis, but that would take info in how Genesis exports or a lot of trial and error to figure out their settings to get the atributes to match and the Genesis-export would have to accept not beeing the top layer. I have managed to get Open Street Map to work as background with Genesis, but in that case it’s the other way around - meaning the OSM is background and Genesis is on top. I would expect that the Genesis-export is set up so that layer is always on top, but the export setup is different based on which chartplotter you export to, Atlas is one example I see is different when exporting to HDS or Elite HDI (as an example). In short: Getting your mosaic on top of Genesis is probably a lost cause.

With a C-Map card with navigational mapping you can choose layers in the chartplotter as you described. Ideally with an option for adjusting opacity, but I have not been able to figure out if that can be done.

6. Member
    TC

I have not been able to create a usable Reefmaster contour + Sidescan Mosaic map for my Gen 3.
    I did create a sidescan mosaic in MBTiles format,added it to my contour map, and it looked great on my computer. I then exported the map in At5 format, loaded into Gen 3, choose " photo overlay" in chart menu, and was able to display it. However, the mosaic ( not the contour map) was so blurred as to be of no use. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
    Last edited by fisheye216; 05-22-2020 at 08:12 AM.

7. Member
    Sounds like you did something wrong with the min-/ max values for zoom/ resolution? Try the standard export for mosaics in RM (if you have 2.0).

8. Member
    You have to increase your zoom value usually .625 works well for close up viewing. This will take considerably longer to generate depending on map size.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Sounds like you did something wrong with the min-/ max values for zoom/ resolution? Try the standard export for mosaics in RM (if you have 2.0).
    What are the standard export values for mosaics? I've been using 0.0625 for min resolution and anywhere from 32 to 1024 for max values. Also, is using the MBTiles format the correct way to create a contour + mosaic RM map? Thanks.

10. Member
    Sounds like you are doing what I did. I haven’t used it for quite som time though.

11. Member
    What is the best mosaic quality you guys have ever got from ReefMaster?

Screenshots please.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishton View Post
    What is the best mosaic quality you guys have ever got from ReefMaster?

Screenshots please.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/188572...h/49927000936/

Two of the images are screenshots of the Reefmaster program taken on my computer. The third is a screen shot from my HDS Gen 3, with the mosaic created in a "Shaded Relief" folder, the chart selection on the Gen 3 is the pre-loaded "Lowrance Insight Map", with "Water" unchecked in the chart " Catergory" menu. Could not zoom in any further without significant blurring. Someone should write a "Reefmaster for Dummies" book for people like me who are first time users!

13. Member
    I seem to get better quality using SonarTRX -

14. Member

Great images.

15. Member

What type of files does it create for use on Lowrance HDS units? At5 for contour maps? What about structure scan maps like above? Thanks.

16. Member
    Yes, At5 format