Thread: Puma To Lynx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Puma To Lynx

Hi,

This winter I aquiried my 3rd bass cat. I had a Pantera III and a Puma that I had purchased used in the pass.
    I wanted to give a review and what to expect going from a lynx to a Puma, in my perspective anyways.

I'm canadian living in ontario. When I fished the invitational years back. Riverside marine in TN had helped me for some little issues. They were so good to me that time that I told Steve the owner that when I would be ready to purchased a brand new cat I would come to him. 3 years later this winter I order a lynx from him. Wait time was 5-6 weeks. Couldn't believe it was that fast. Now with the Corona Pandemic the US/CAN boarder being closed Steve was patient while I had to hire a trucking company to haul the boat. Steve was awesome in answering all my questions when I would call him or email him.

The Puma was Powered with a G2. While i was never 100% sure if the G2 was going to bring back to shore...It was an amazing engine performance wise. I had one injector go and Evinrude covered that. It was an amazing engine performance and the technology is just out of this world, getting service up here for a evinrude was the issue. If I lived close to Riverside who's a evinrude dealer I would of gotten another Rude for the lynx.

Lynx is HUGE compared to the puma. The deck as plenty of space for two big parterns up front. I'm still getting used to the 250 Pro XS V8. It gets on plane quickly. The lynx is weight sensitive. Getting it to get on Pad you need to hit 55mph and than it just takes off. It does required Seat time and I can report back on that later when I have more time on it driving abot 55mph. I did hit 74.5mph full load, partner gas and livewells and it felt like I had room to improve.

The built quality is there as expected. no flaws on the gel coat everything is as one would wish from bass cat. I'm glad that this quality in making top of the line Bass Boat asn't faded over time.

Fishing comfort compared to the puma. I was already happy and comfertable with the Puma. This lynx brought the fishing comfort to another level. the space and the stability is all you can wish for.

Storage versus a Puma. I love the Puma layout. If I could of asked for a Lynx with a Puma compartment Layout I would have. It's going to take some time to get used to the Lynx layout. The center rod compartement is well though and it will grow on me over time. Lots of room and options on how you want to organise your tackle.

The Bass Cat's can be tricky to mount electronics at the Bow. other Brands of boats either have flush mount options at the front for the graph or a flat surface or you can mount a bracket over the foot pedal area. with Lynx like the Puma you have a reccesed well for the graphs. Boat on the lynx and Puma I had Solix 15 and a garmin 95SV at the Bow. With my Geigertec mount it's no problem and it's adjustable you have a lot of mounting position options which I like on both boat. The lynx have a large surface area at the boat compared to the puma so it made it easier.

The Ride: They ride completely different and with one equiped with the G2 250 (Puma) and the other with the Mercury V8 250 it's hard to really compare drivability. the G2 integrated Power Steering Assist is out of this world. Going back to regular Power steering of the Mercury will take time to adjust, I could drive the Puma with one hand at 78MPH and turn and navigate with a breeze, but that engine performance wise has nothing to do with the boat design, based on that I can't really give you an honest comparision when it comes to the driving and the ride yet. The Lynx is a Bigger Boat and I haven't pushed the bouandries like I did with the PUMA yet.

Thanks Basscat for building dreams. I can't wait for next weekend to come so I can go fishing in the Lynx.

IMG_3571.jpg

IMG_3720.JPG

Sharp ride! I had spoke with Steve and he had mentioned trying to get a boat to Canada but the Rona was causing issues I'm guessing it was you lol. Guys at Riverside have been very nice over the phone and I plan on taking my business there on a new order as well as Steve has gotten back to me and answered all my questions timely as well. I had a 17 puma ftd, and got to ride in lynx/ fish for day. I had owner a caracal as well. The lynx feels like a high speed tank that can make sharp maneuvers. The one I spent time in had a verado, hole shot and performance were great. It ate up boat wakes I actually wished it was more rough that day to see how it handled wind waves. Only think that I thought felt weird is if felt even deeper than my caracal standing in the floor/ console area.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

3. Member
    Congrats on the new ride. I soon will be in the same club!
    And for those wondering, there is a lot more room at the helm of a Lynx than a Cougar/Puma.
    Dave

4. Member
    I am 6' 3" and after going to many boat shows and sitting in the driver seat of many brands (Phoenix, Skeeter, Ranger, Nitro, etc), the lynx is the only boat I walk away from saying, "damn, that is extra roomy, I can really stretch my legs out". At the same time, some of the other Bass Cat models are among the worst for leg room.

5. Member
    Congrats on the new boat! I love my Geigertech mounts as well. Really confident when I hit big rough water that my Solix’s and Garmin will be still attached when I put the boat on the trailer. Bummed that the border is closed my trip north of the border was set for this weekend!

You could have gotten the V8 in the verado configuration which would have given you the power steering you were used to. I suspect when you get in a real chop the lynx will be superior. I went from the puma to the Jag and it is quite noticeable when it gets ugly on the water.

Congratulations on purchasing your Lynx. I too ordered mine from Steve at Riverside. Couldn't ask for a better dealer.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

8. Member
    Yell guys are killing me!! I want a lynx so bad!! I am in a puma now and love but want a wider front deck. And the only boat I will ever own will be a bass cat.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

9. Member
    Great boat! I love the purple accents. I think I saw the build pictures of your boat on Facebook. We've had many discussions on this board about how to drive the Lynx. I struggled early but now it's all second nature. Let us know if you need and suggestions.

10. Member
    really sharp colors!! need to find some purple merc stripes next!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I've had 20 hours on it now. Totally different animal compared to a puma. it's not a agile and it's like learning how to drive a boat again. very trim sensitive. Weight balance is a must in this boat. Less weight at the front better it will perform.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastien68 View Post
    I've had 20 hours on it now. Totally different animal compared to a puma. it's not a agile and it's like learning how to drive a boat again. very trim sensitive. Weight balance is a must in this boat. Less weight at the front better it will perform.
    i call first dibs when you sell it!!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Member
    Steve at Riverside is first class!! Great dealer!
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

14. Member
    Great looking boat!

15. Member
    I don’t own a BassCat but isn’t it odd that the Lynx has such cavernous storage in the front, yet every person I see do a write up on them talks about how sensitive weight distribution is? I mean with all the storage up there everyone is Naturally going to load it down. Just seems counterintuitive. Not intended to be negative just an observation.

It’s about choice on Location. Say for example you put rainsuit, helmet (Right front box intended use), a few plastics and some crank baits in the right rear, extra rods in the left rod box, and then put the 7-10 planos in the rod box with 12-17 rods, and it’s not that bad. The rear Deck right box can then be overflow for larger heavier items, as can the under seats areas where most store the fire extinguisher and tools.

That’s the intended break down.

BCB

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steady View Post
    I don’t own a BassCat but isn’t it odd that the Lynx has such cavernous storage in the front, yet every person I see do a write up on them talks about how sensitive weight distribution is? I mean with all the storage up there everyone is Naturally going to load it down. Just seems counterintuitive. Not intended to be negative just an observation.
    While I try to keep the weight in the back I still probably have a pretty heavy load up front. 2 Helix graphs, a Mega 360, 112 Ultrex, 25 - 30 rods, 10 -12 Plano trays and some plastics...... that's a pretty hefty load. All my plastics are under the seats. Heavy baits and tungstens are in the rear storage. I add trim as the bow is dropping from the hole shot. IMHO that helps lift the bow just enough so its not "catchy". I've heard people say that in Bass Cats they don't add any trim until the bow naturally lifts around 50mph. That doesn't work for my Lynx. It needs some trim right away.

18. Banned
    Apparently a ghost is like 38lbs lighter than an Ultrex...wonder if that would help...?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Apparently a ghost is like 38lbs lighter than an Ultrex...wonder if that would help...?
    Wow! 38lbs? Thats a lot of weight loss compared to the ultrex. Has my interest.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7 pounds lighter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast