Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

SC boat insurance???

Hello gentlemen....I'm sure this has been discussed here before but my search did not find insurance in SC.

Just moved to Anderson and am in need of boat insurance. Checked around and was advised to go with State Farm which we did for auto's and renters insurance, but their boat insurance is really high.

I was with Erie Insurance in Pa at a price of 780.00 annually and State Farm came in at 1,220.00 annually. And I sent him my exact policy from Erie to quote apples to apples. I asked why so high and he said its because its higher in SC.

Any ideas, comments or suggestions??

BTW, the State Farm insurance is less expensive for auto and renters insurance.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Try United Marine Underwrtiters Insurance , I switched to them this year saved me 30 % with agreed hull value

2009 ELITE 210

Maybe in PA they consider boaters at less of a risk for loss because there’s less time of year to use the boat due to all the hard water in winter???

I use State Farm. My biggest concern about switching is the service of another company.

I use State Farm as well. More because of convenience than anything else though. My mother was an agent for 20 years and my wife has been an agent for over 22 years now.

6. Member
    I have mine through United Marine. I know Progressive sells policies in SC. I'm not far from you - Lake Keowee.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I also have State Farm, my policy is about $150/yr. Progressive was considerably higher.

Don't forget Craig, You need both the motor and boat titled in SC when it comes time and you'll be taxed on both. No need to trailer tag though. Congrats on the move and don't drive the old timers at Waldrop's too crazy.

8. Member
    I have Progressive. I know some people don't like them but I had a claim on my older bass boat. They took care of it and got Bass Pro off their butts and got it fixed.
    I have the full replacement policy with guaranteed cash value on my new Nitro. It a little higher at $400 year, but was actually less than others.

Call Bob at Worldwide Marine Underwriters. I live in Easley and get my coverage through them. It’s a Travelers policy with coverage designed for bass boats. He made sure I was covered for things I didn’t even think about. They are one of the sponsors on BBC. You will be glad you called him.

2016 Phoenix 618 Pro
    2016 Mercury 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    I second rangersc. State Farm is a joke with boat insurance. Been there done it.

I am an insurance agent for NC and SC. I write for Progressive and Foremost for SC boat insurance. GIve me a call if you would like a quote.

Kenny Hollingsworth- Brock & Associates Inc- Hendersonville NC
    828 692 5728
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I also have State Farm, my policy is about $150/yr. Progressive was considerably higher.

Don't forget Craig, You need both the motor and boat titled in SC when it comes time and you'll be taxed on both. No need to trailer tag though. Congrats on the move and don't drive the old timers at Waldrop's too crazy.
    YOUr insurance is 150.00 per year???!!! And I was quoted 1,225.00 a year!! wow

And yup, I'm on it fred!! Thanks

hahaha Jenn and I were at Waldrops Sunday for Breakfast and the old fella that I met years ago who told me the dam yankee joke was there. I wanted to harass him but he was chatting with his pals
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KHNC View Post
    I am an insurance agent for NC and SC. I write for Progressive and Foremost for SC boat insurance. GIve me a call if you would like a quote.

Kenny Hollingsworth- Brock & Associates Inc- Hendersonville NC
    828 692 5728

I'll give a a holler tomorrow
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

14. Member
    I had State Farm for years with home and auto but after they tried to screw me hard when I filed a homeowner claim- I switched to amica. Coverage went up and price went down. I picked them bc they were tied with USAA but cheaper in consumer reports. I added a boat, $1M umbrella policy, increased car coverage, and my premium went up about $50 per month. I’d at least give them a call. Absolutely F State Farm.

My State Farm is $379 a year.

16. Member
    When I bought my last boat the dealer told me point blank you are getting ripped off by State Farm. I check with 2 others with double the coverage and both were within $50. State Farm was $700+ more and never had a claim with anything. I went to my agent at the time to let him quote me apples to apples coverage. I took a marker and cover up the numbers and asked to quote. After he told me what it was going to be I handed him another copy with the numbers and he had that deer in headlights look. I then told him thank you for his time. Here is the kicker it didn’t include $5 grand in tackle coverage either.

2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

18. Member
    Spoke t Bob from World wide marine today. I've got some homework to do. Very interesting and enlightening conversation. Makes total sense. I'll let ou all know how this proceeds.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

One thing to consider is how well the company ( whoever that may be) will handle your claim, if you have one in the future. I have friends that have had Progressive & other big name companies that have gone through hell with some claims.
    I don't believe there is a perfect solution or company. I've had State Farm longer than most of you are old. Never had a problem or dispute with any claim I ever made. My point is don't be so influenced by price over service. I personally don't think any of them
    are great, I just hate to jump ship ( excuse the pun) & be worse off than I am now.

20. Member
    I got insurance through Bob and paid 695.00! I'm happy
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast