Thread: Poles on 202

Poles on 202

I’m considering adding power poles to my 202. Has anyone here done this? How did it affect the performance and do you have any pictures?

2. Member
    I bet if you went to all Lithium batteries it wouldn't be bad at all. I am curious to hear the responses, as I have thought about the same thing.
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

3. TJNYSNP
    Check out this link from 'champdshull' who went with Lithium and has power poles: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1#post11120918

Also depends on your jack plate offset... if its 10" or more you might have issues... just know that the offset from jack plate can have an affect also on back weight balance.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mohawkman; 05-19-2020 at 12:16 PM.

4. Member
    I have poles and the whole 9 yards your talking about and boat runs and handles perfectly. Never do I have water when I pull the plug. As far as performance.BI run the same speed and props as all the other guys. I’m sure theres might be a tab faster but 73-76 depending on conditions is fast enough I think.

5. Member
    I have 10ft power poles on my 90” champion. I have two lithium batteries and one optima for cranking. I have had no problem whatsoever. Would be even better if my cranking battery was lithium but my engine won’t support it. Did slow me down a couple mph. Still will run a solid 70 plus.193 with OX66 200 with a T-1 prop. Had enough room in tm battery storage area for one pump and the other in the bilge area.

20200508_214520.jpg20200506_184345.jpg20200508_210900.jpg

I have a 96 Champ 202 & I just completed mine. The would is pressure treated wood to help support the weight of the pumps. What you can't see is the 2 large bolts that I used to help secure the panel so nothing moves during the rough stuff. I can send you more pics if you want & if you'd want to talk instead of text that's fine with me. I also didn't drill any holes in my boat. I went through the rubber grommet that the steering cable went through. It's very tight & my batteries are damn supporting the pumps as well. Because I knew it was pretty tight I went & bought some metal clamps that would really hold my batteries down.
    I think I paid no more then $3 bucks a piece & they work perfect because by bats don't move at all. Plus I check them before I go out each time to make sure. Just let me know. Hope this helps & I don't mind helping anyone because people have helped me out quite a bit on this site plus your a Champ Owner so whatever I can do to help.

Plus unused all stainless material when available & oversized everything because we all know what happens when you get into big water sometimes.
    Last edited by Scooty06; 06-03-2020 at 10:58 PM.
    🎣1996 Champion 202/ Mtn Home🎣

7. Member
    Ok. Here's what I'm doing.
    Upgrading from a 2000 merc 225 EFI to a 2020 Merc Pro xs four stroke 250.
    Switching from a 6" Slidemaster manual to a 10" Bob's Action jack plate.
    Installing 10' Power Pole Blades.
    Changing to lithum 12 volt (3 ea) + 1 Duracell group 31 AGM cranking battery.
    After the changes, The weight difference is approx + 51 lbs.
    Thoughts?? Prop recommendations?

8. Member
    I have a manual 10” and it works fine. The hydraulic plate weight is more. When I get ready to reseal my transom I will go to an 8” not a ten. I think I won’t lose speed and it will help some with moving a little weight away from transom. The brackets on the PP will back wash if I don’t come off plane slowly. Probably the only drawback.