Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Wayne, how do you run your transducer cable or suggest running it for those of us with the external transducers? I saw where some ran it along the trolling motor base. I have it running up the Ultrex shaft. Do you think adding a ferrite ring would help? I was reading an old post on another forum and you had used them, recommended the ferrite toroid mix 77. Is that still good for the Ultrex and our issues?

I’m going to try unhooking the Ultrex Ethernet cord to the 5 port hub also. Any possibility that’s causing any interference?
    I had no e switch today so everything was stand alone..would moving the m360 further up away from the tm motor help? i have maybe 4-5 inches up shaft above wet switch to play with.

I have never ran any cables along the trolling motor steering/power cables. Power to the mega 360 isn’t that close to the trolling motor wiring. Have never experienced any interference until the mega 360, 360 had zero interference.

I have all the transducer, ethernet, 360 power cables in one of the TH neoprene jackets. I could try separating the transducer cable.
    Last edited by C130; 05-22-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G48 View Post
    I had no e switch today so everything was stand alone..would moving the m360 further up away from the tm motor help? i have maybe 4-5 inches up shaft above wet switch to play with.
    It’s ridiculous, Ultrex, latest Helix, Mega 360, Minn Kota 4 bank charger, Hummingbird ethernet port, and if you use spot lock or the trolling motor at all my mega 360 is almost worthless. I’m sure I’ll get figured out but it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. My wiring is the same, only thing that’s changed is a mega 360 vs my old 360 and a a G3 Helix 12 vs. a G1 Helix 12.

I doubt this is an issue but my Ultrex is an older model, bought in March of 17. Any chance the new ones don’t have these issues with the mega units? Just wondering if there’s anything in common for those of us having issues.
    Last edited by C130; 05-22-2020 at 07:50 PM.

4. Member
    It’s ridiculous, Ultrex, latest Helix, Mega 360, Minn Kota 4 bank charger, Hummingbird ethernet port, and if you use spot lock or the trolling motor at all my mega 360 is almost worthless. I’m sure I’ll get figured out but it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. My wiring is the same, only thing that’s changed is a mega 360 vs my old 360 and a a G3 Helix 12 vs. a G1 Helix 12.

I doubt this is an issue but my Ultrex is an older model, bought in March of 17. Any chance the new ones don’t have these issues with the mega units? Just wondering how old their Ultrex is for those with the same issue
    My interference doesn't seem as over whelming as yours..But Wayne did mention that the mega is supersensitive and since there's not been any physical mods to your setup, the introduction of the mega frequency maybe closer to something than your old 360 that is now causing the new interference. I'll add some of my interference pics tom. to give some reference. I did buy mine (ultrex) in July 2019 In addition to noise level 4 I have ferrite clips on the ducer cable coming out of ultrex head and on each cable on the splitter next to the solix head. They do work I have tried them with and without. Maybe without them my tm interference could be comparable to yours.

My interference doesn't seem as over whelming as yours..But Wayne did mention that the mega is supersensitive and since there's not been any physical mods to your setup, the introduction of the mega frequency maybe closer to something than your old 360 that is now causing the new interference. I'll add some of my interference pics tom. to give some reference. I did buy mine (ultrex) in July 2019 In addition to noise level 4 I have ferrite clips on the ducer cable coming out of ultrex head and on each cable on the splitter next to the solix head. They do work I have tried them with and without. Maybe without them my tm interference could be comparable to yours.
    Thanks, filter setting 2 and 4 helped a lot but it’s still not clear. Image is excellent when not activating the trolling motor prop.

Thanks, filter setting 2 and 4 helped a lot but it’s still not clear. Image is excellent when not activating the trolling motor prop. When I unplugged the DI transducer it was good also. I replaced the transducer today with a new one I had just to eliminate that the old one was bad. I’ll try it again maybe Tuesday.

7. Member
    Thanks, filter setting 2 and 4 helped a lot but it’s still not clear. Image is excellent when not activating the trolling motor prop. When I unplugged the DI transducer it was good also. I replaced the transducer today with a new one I had just to eliminate that the old one was bad. I’ll try it again maybe Tuesday.
    Same here, mine is primarily in spot lock and if i make sharper turns off straight in manual mode. Small steering adjustments don't effect it. I will see if putting my di on 800 or 455 while m360 is on mega next time out has any effect on it. My console was in standby the whole time i was on the bow so it wasn't a crosstalk problem. Hopefully that new transducer will solve or at least minimize the ference for you.

8. Member
    Found this article in the hb side image forum..thought it was helpful. http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/in...33971#msg33971

Found this article in the hb side image forum..thought it was helpful. http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/in...33971#msg33971
    Thanks for the link, that’s a great article on interference.

Sounds like adding the wire to the trolling motor skeg might be an option if nothing else I’ve tried helps. Does it matter at all which grounding wire I connect it to? I could splice it in to to either the 360 or Helix grounding wire. Maybe I’ll take a roll of wire out on the next trip and temporarily connect it just to see if it fixes the issue.

10. Member
    Thanks for the link, that’s a great article on interference.

Sounds like adding the wire to the trolling motor skeg might be an option if nothing else I’ve tried helps. Does it matter at all which grounding wire I connect it to? I could splice it in to to either the 360 or Helix grounding wire. Maybe I’ll take a roll of wire out on the next trip and temporarily connect it just to see if it fixes the issue.
    I added this wire on my setup when I was experiencing issues with my M360 and it made a huge difference. I grounded it to one of the negative leads of the cranking battery (on a terminal hub under the bow panel). At about 9 seconds in this video you can see where I connect the wire https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018...epa=SEARCH_BOX

The other thing that could be the issue is the grounding of your brushes in your trolling motor. This is something that can be assessed and repaired by a Minn Kota ASC and may be an issue if your trolling motor is indeed old.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    I added this wire on my setup when I was experiencing issues with my M360 and it made a huge difference. I grounded it to one of the negative leads of the cranking battery (on a terminal hub under the bow panel). At about 9 seconds in this video you can see where I connect the wire https://www.facebook.com/groups/1018...epa=SEARCH_BOX

The other thing that could be the issue is the grounding of your brushes in your trolling motor. This is something that can be assessed and repaired by a Minn Kota ASC and may be an issue if your trolling motor is indeed old.
    It’s an Ultrex, ipilot link model , bought new in 2017, so it’s not that old. Thanks for the link, just requested to join that group.

A motor with built-in transducer has the ground wire with a fuse on it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Same here, mine is primarily in spot lock and if i make sharper turns off straight in manual mode. Small steering adjustments don't effect it. I will see if putting my di on 800 or 455 while m360 is on mega next time out has any effect on it. My console was in standby the whole time i was on the bow so it wasn't a crosstalk problem. Hopefully that new transducer will solve or at least minimize the ference for you.
    Here's some pics of what i was experiencing yesterday.

snp0522201549.jpgsnp0522201643.jpgsnp0522201935.jpgsnp0522202626.jpg

snp0522205044.jpgsnp0522205112.jpgsnp0522205314.jpgsnp0522205341.jpg

That’s what mine looks like.

Wayne, so it won’t do any good to run a ground wire from the skeg? I just ran one to try next time out. I’ve got an Ultrex, i-Pilot link.

That’s what mine looks like.

Wayne, so it won’t do any good to run a ground wire from the skeg? I just ran one to try next time out. I’ve got an Ultrex, i-Pilot link.
    You can't eliminate any measure until you prove it doesn't help.

I have an Ultrex with iPilot LINK and US2 with a MEGA DI+ transducer on the motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Where is the "interference" in your screen shots?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Where is the "interference" in your screen shots?
    So, with your question it seems that the thin black lines starting at the bottom of the water column and fanning out in small areas are not considered a form of interference but maybe prop wash from the tm? The lines only appear when I spot lock or am manuvering with foot pedal.

So, with your question it seems that the thin black lines starting at the bottom of the water column and fanning out in small areas are not considered a form of interference but maybe prop wash from the tm? The lines only appear when I spot lock or am manuvering with foot pedal.
    "interference" would affect the whole image.
    It looks like you are near docks, trees, or some other vertical obstructions that block the sonar pulses and create shadows. You have something else that also BLOCKS the sonar pulses---the motor and the prop.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Well, I guess there are no worries here then...Thanks Wayne...I wonder if this is what the op is experiencing or the "whole" image problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast