Oil Tank - is cap about to crack - is it safe to use for now?

I noticed a couple scratches on the flat portion of the oil reservoir cap, on the flat portion of it. The cap is for the remote oil fill line.
    It does't look like it's cracked all the way through, not sure if those scratches was by someone by accident sometime in the past or does it mean it's about to crack all the way through. Do you think it safe to use boat before I can get a replacement part? The lake by my place just re-opened to fishing and I was planning to go out tomorrow.

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Here is a better picture

3. Member
    if it does you should get low oil alarm
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    I blew up the first picture you posted and I could see the plastic strand so something was dragged across it and left a groove. IMHO, doesn't look deep enough to cause concern, then again, I'm looking at pictures rather than holding in my hand. Having a spare on hand wouldn't hurt a thing.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    I blew up the first picture you posted and I could see the plastic strand so something was dragged across it and left a groove. IMHO, doesn't look deep enough to cause concern, then again, I'm looking at pictures rather than holding in my hand. Having a spare on hand wouldn't hurt a thing.
    Good idea, I will order a spare cap and keep it on hand, here is a better picture of the deepest scratch and you can see the plastic strand better. I have a 2001 boat but had my original oil tank replaced by the dealer about 7 years ago and I'm guessing they put the scratches there during installation of the new tank.

6. Member
    looks lot better you should be fine
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I have a good one for sale and the hold down bracket. 125.00 plus shipping if needed. Rick

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    looks lot better you should be fine
    ^^^^
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax