Replace both stator and rectifier/regulator at the same time?

1994 Evinrude 150 Intruder. E150GLERV, 03589334.

I've been trying to diagnose a low idle condition. Low speed timing adjustment is maxed out and barely keeps it running (4 degrees ATDC using easy timer). Motor runs great except for idle once the quickstart kicks off. Entire fuel system rebuilt, new plugs, nothing helped. Low speed mixture is dialed in-no hesitation or lean sneeze, hitting primer the engine slows.

Started the diagnosis of the ignition system via factory service manual. Spark test appeared intermittent on # 4 and 6 but would jump a 7/16 gap with blue spark when it did. Ohm tests good for coils and stator. Did not do voltage test as I was waiting for the resistor to build the test harness for the power pack. I decided to pull the flywheel and found all three coils leaking the black substance on the stator. Ordered a new stator.

When researching the stator I've seen some say to replace the voltage regulator/rectifier at the same time as the stator (this was on a 3 liter looper without OIS). Is this necessary? Tach works and charging system works. Only coils leaking were those with orange, orange/black, brown, brown/yellow, and brown, brown/white. The two larger yellow, yellow/gray wires and windings appear fine. Don't want to drop anther $300 unnecessarily, but will if it protects the $400 stator, I will.

Since I've owned the motor (6 years) it has had lock nuts on the battery.

So short question I guess is, do I replace the rectifier/regulator with the stator? Thank you for any help.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Do the stator the VR sounds good.

3. Member
    Thank you!

4. Member
    No need.

5. Member
    Well the new stator didn't fix my problem, idle is slightly better but still need to max the low timing speed adjustment out to get it to idle around 700-750 rpms in gear. Boat is a 87 Ranger 374 with a 24 Raker. Top end is 5500 rpms and 61 mph, which was the same prior to stator change.

Sync and lync done per factory manual and easy timer. Recerc valves tested good, if I plug the low speed air jets engine bogs and idles lower. Tried testing for air leaks with carb cleaner, no changes to rpms.

Carbs aren't spitting fuel, though I have considered a reed or reeds not sealing. Chris Carson reeds put in six years ago. Checked the pulse limited line leading to the OMS and it was dry, I've heard if wet the OMS could be bad causing a bad idle condition.

Any other thoughts?

Make sure your spark plugs are champions.

7. Member
    I run the Champion QL78YC gapped at .30. Runs the same with old set of plugs and new set I put in.

8. Member
    Bump for any other ideas.

9. Member
    I had an issue with my 96 150 intruder where the motor would come out of quickstart and die. It would then be very hard to re-start. I replaced some fuel system components based on some suggestions I got from this site with no luck. Problem ended up being the power pack. I took it to a local evinrude dealer and they diagnosed it. I realize this isn't your exact issue, but kind of sounds similar.

Anything here would be a guess, if the idle is low and the timing will not bring it up then what else could cause the low idle?
    Could it be cylinder head temp? A cold running engine will not want to idle.
    Could it be that the carb mixture screws are too far out causing a rich running issue? This would cause low idle.
    Leaking reed gaskets would most likely cause a lean situation which would in most cases cause a high idle but stranger things have happened, but a broken or damaged reed could cause a poor idle condition.
    Spark? The OIS ignition will most times be weak on one side when tested with a spark checker so always use a timing light to verify spark. The Power pack could possibly be the issue but that's an expensive guess and always replace the optical sensor when replacing the power pack.
    Oil, too much oil could cause a low idle situation.
    Flywheel magnets, if they are damaged or missing this would cause low voltage which could affect idle. Did you look closely at the magnets while the flywheel was off?
    Exhaust leak or blocked exhaust, not likely a leak would be found on that engine but if it only refuses to idle with the engine cover is on that would be time to check the exhaust boot out the back. Blocked exhaust, I once had one of these engines that would not idle and found some critter had stored his nuts in the exhaust housing and he was a hungry fellow cause I removed a ton of nuts from the exhaust housing.
    Fuel, quality clean fuel?

These are just what ran through my head as I read you post, I'm sure if I thought about it I could come up with more things to look at.
    Last edited by ELGIN; 06-07-2020 at 10:45 AM.

11. Member
    Running through the list of suggestions, I am leaning towards excessive oil. I run XD100 so it doesn’t smoke too much, but I filled my oil reservoir and burned 9 gallons of gas and it took a quart to refill the oil tank. Obviously that’s more than 50:1 so I assume I should put a new OMS on?

12. Member
    Update: Still chasing the low idle problem. New OMS didn't help. All coils tested within spec, but one fluctuated. I bit the bullet and put a new power pack, optical sensor and coils in (all BRP parts) and no change. Pulled the carbs and intake off and found all reeds had .20 standoff and some corners had cracks. These are fiberglass reeds I put in about 6 years ago. I think this is the culprit. New reeds and gaskets on the way and will hopefully be here by this weekend. Next report is hopefully the idle problem is gone.

13. Member
    Your oil issue could be air in the fuel lines, air can be sucked in with no fuel leaks, test as per your manual. Lots of smoke at idle is a clue.

I hope for your sake the reeds fix it because it appears this is getting expensive.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

15. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Only good caveat is he has a bunch of good spare parts....

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post

making lemonade out of lemons!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Exactly how I’m looking at it. Only money I’ve put into it other than routine maintenance, no worries there. Checked for air in the fuel, no issues there.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ELGIN View Post
    I hope for your sake the reeds fix it because it appears this is getting expensive.
    I hope so too. Don’t tell my wife . Actually, fortunately she doesn’t care.

19. Member
    Well she is fixed. It was the reeds. Idles perfect now.

Glad you got it worked out and Thanks for letting us know the out come.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......