Thread: rod kit quality

1. Member
    I’m very new at rod building so take that with a grain of salt but I started out with a CRB turn key kit from mudhole. The components are pretty good imo and the rod is sensitive but the action and power ratings couldn’t be more off. I bought a 6’6” ML and a 6’6” L action rod, both are a power less than what they are listed as. The Light is more of a Med Lite while the ML is a Med action. Both don’t really have a good tip but are decent ned rig rods and finesse worm/skipping rods. They also seem a bit more sensitive than my st Croix mojos which is baffling.

for the money they are great to learn on. Won’t break the bank and if you mess up, you’re not out a lot of money. I also just built on a MHX ML rod and it seems To be on par with the Avid rods with actions similar to the Mojo series.

as for literature and videos, youtube is a great resource and mudhole has a ton of instructional videos. Also the rod building forum website is a great resource as well, but nothing beats hands on experience. The more you do, the better you’ll be
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Testing

rod kit quality

Hi guys... Im going to attempt to build a couple rods for myself ( total beginner )… I'm wondering in general what the quality of the " rod kits" that are sold out there tend to be ,, just the basic ones... Rite know I'm fishing with tatulas , older shamano crucials and a couple st Croix and am happy with them for sure... Id like to get a feel from you guys what to expect before I buy... (of course my work not withstanding)... Any comparison to an existing rod product might be helpful... Also would someone point me in the rite direction to begin learning about components and methods ie literature, videos ect… Thanks for any and all input tight lines and be safe ...Mychael

4. Member
    I've built using Mudhole's turnkey kit and they include the MHX Magtaper rod which is a great all around rod