Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Interesting take on aluminum bass boats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

I saw this over in the lounge. These guy seem to be on the same page as some of us when you put a 150+ horse power motor on an aluminum boat.

2. Member
    Last edited by madmurph; 05-18-2020 at 03:45 PM.

3. Member
    These guy seem to be on the same page as some of us when you put a 150+ horse power motor on an aluminum boat.

I agree no need in putting a small 150 HP on a good aluminum boat. 250 are stay on the porch.
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

I do agree that they dont compare to glass rigs after owning both. Like not even close. But not everyone needs or can afford the big glass rigs so the tin market has its place contrary to what these guys seem to be hinting that they totally worthless. I will however agree tho that the tin boat prices are getting rediculous tho. When we went to the last boat show around here before all this covid stuff a dealer had some vexus boats there. Is it a nice boat yea it is but the “boat show price” for a 1980 single axle no jack plate with a 150 pro xs ultrex and dual helix 7 graphs on it was $48,500. I didnt know whether to laugh or crap my pants. We got our triton for $51k out the door. That kindof money for a big underpowered aluminum rig. No thanks.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    I had a response typed out saying how I really feel about those two guys in the video. Quite honestly it's really hard to take them seriously by how unprofessional and heavily biased they come across. My opinion on this subject is to buy what you can EASILY afford and are comfortable with and be happy. And there's absolutely no shame in buying a lesser boat that's going to be more reliable because what good is a boat that's always needing something fixed? My observation is those that buy older boats that tear up all the time usually can't afford to get it fixed either and when they try to fix it themselves they usually just make things worse. Why do I think this way? Well I used to by "that guy" and the best decision I ever made in boat ownership was to buy something that would fit my needs on the water I fish without breaking the bank AND be extremely reliable and cheap to use. I could have made the payments on a nicer 18' glass rig with a 150hp if I would have stretched the loan out to 15 years but that made ZERO sense to me and I know I wouldn't have taken the necessary steps to keep the gel looking nice and shiny. If you want a lower priced tin rig that rides nice and isn't slap happy in rough water buy a Tracker Revolution hull. If you want something nicer that still rides nice you're getting into the price of a lower end glass rig like a Nitro or Triton (and when I bought mine Stratos was in the glass running too for me).

What I'm trying to say is when buying a boat whether it be new or used making a list of what's truly important to you helps out a lot. When you find one that checks all the boxes you've found your boat! If you're buying something you can't really afford just to impress those around you you've got bigger problems only serious counseling can fix!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps
    Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

6. Member
    I agree on buying what you can afford that meets your needs. Like you high centered I looked at another 18' glass boat before buying the RT188. I've had the RT three plus years now, yes I get wetter when the wind starts blowing, etc...BUT I have not worried about other things that concerned me when owing glass boats. I've had several of both over the years, they both have their place. A BIG part of my decision ws the simplicity of the boat I have now, secondary was the price was at least 12,000 less than a new premium glass boat of the same size. Not everyone fishes tournaments requiring you to be able to get out there in foul weather.

I think a big part of the aluminum boat problems come from people trying to run them like a glass rig when it gets tough. Most of them are at best a modified flat bottom.

7. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    My 175txw rides every bit as dry as my mid 90's Pantera Classic and Charger 195vf I had for my first two boats. Learned a lot about what NOT to do when buying and owning a boat with those two! And also got the need for speed out of my system. While I'm not overly thrilled with the fit and finish of the Tracker you can't beat the ride and that's what swung me to it vs the Ranger/Crestliner/Triton hull everyone seemed to favor at the time because the prices were really close on all 4 in the 17' with 75hp category. The ride is why it will be really hard to go with anything but a Tracker for my next "last?" boat unless I can get a really good deal on a Vexus or Avid. Will run what I got now for as long as it's reliable because it really does fit my needs perfectly. My work schedule blesses me with the ability to fish during the week so lake traffic is usually low and never a need to outrun anyone to a spot. And don't fish tournaments. It's simply a battleship that gets me to the fish and when I do finally get rid of it I bet the motor will have over 1000 hours on it. Boy that'll sure make some think twice about buying it but at least it won't have the problems boats get when they sit too much between uses, hehe.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps
    Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Hope those guys don’t quit their day jobs.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Is there any particular reason why a video bashing tins was placed in the tin forum?
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    I had a response typed out saying how I really feel about those two guys in the video. Quite honestly it's really hard to take them seriously by how unprofessional and heavily biased they come across.
    I typed one out also and then went back and deleted it as you can see from my post up above.

They have their opinion, but it certainly does not make them right. I know A LOT of aluminum boat owners. Not all....but MOST of them could buy any boat they wanted for buy. Many could do it and write a check for it. Personally, economics had nothing to do with me buying one.

I had several glass bass boats. I had two bad cases of blisters on the hulls. That is a big reason I went with aluminum. It was not the price or to buy economically. It was one of those "fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice shame on me" minutes and I have never regretted owning the RT188. I was tired of fast glass boats and the big EFI engines I had would eat gas and two stroke oil like I owned a refinery.

People buy large purchases like this for different reasons and not all people need or want a glass boat. The RT188 has been a great purchase for me but that is just my opinion on the review. I never heard of those guys before so why should their opinion matter?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

Its just their opinion. They are allowed to have one. We don't have to agree with their opinion. I certainly do not share the same sentiment.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Hope those guys don’t quit their day jobs.
    Exactly, 10 minutes of my life I won't get back after watching that train wreck of a video. There sure were a bunch of glass boat guys this past Saturday night in a club tournament who would have swapped fish with me. Instead of having a bunch of "attitude" these jokers could have made a useful video about the merits of re-powering an older glass boat versus buying a new aluminum boat - pros and cons. I was surprised that there weren't any fart jokes, just fat jokes instead.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOATS View Post
    Is there any particular reason why a video bashing tins was placed in the tin forum?
    If I were a young buyer I'd want all opinions on the choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    They have their opinion, but it certainly does not make them right. I know A LOT of aluminum boat owners. Not all....but MOST of them could buy any boat they wanted for buy. Many could do it and write a check for it. Personally, economics had nothing to do with me buying one.

I had several glass bass boats. I had two bad cases of blisters on the hulls. That is a big reason I went with aluminum. It was not the price or to buy economically. It was one of those "fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice shame on me" minutes and I have never regretted owning the RT188. I was tired of fast glass boats and the big EFI engines I had would eat gas and two stroke oil like I owned a refinery.

People buy large purchases like this for different reasons and not all people need or want a glass boat. The RT188 has been a great purchase for me but that is just my opinion on the review. I never heard of those guys before so why should their opinion matter?
    Videos like this everywhere gotta take it with a grain of salt. Youtube is an amazing resource also a waste of time. But thats their opinion but they are fortunate enough to have a following that im sure makes them money how i dont know but it does. Most people have never heard of you either so why would your opinion matter just the same as mine or anyone else out there. Goes both ways.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    If I were a young buyer I'd want all opinions on the choices.
    Then put it in the glass pages.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

17. Member
    i have a 2016 xpress 24x catfish boat pro and cons. the yamaha 250 sho 4 stroke is a great motor. the the noise level is great you can talk while runing the boat. the SHO is very good in gas no trouble. the boat is made like a ARMY TANK it is very well made. it is 8 1/2 foot wide and 24 foot long great ride with built in full windshield. the livewill is 125 gallon full loaded with all bells and whistles. i wont go back to glass boat. the sad part about the boat. xpress does not make it anymore. im very happy with it.

18. Banned
    20200407_172454.jpg
    I guess I'll have to trade in my 140 for a 250!

Them Glass Boats sure are nice. BUT I cant see how I would fish any better with one compared to what I have. I think its allot like Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota. We all have our favorite.
    A 250 will not make me catch anymore fish than my old 115. Just like Glass Boat wont make me catch more fish than my Tin Boat.
    SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

20. Member
    I'm going to say this as a general observation in my area, but the folks that own tin boats fish way more than the glass boat guys. I can't say I know why, but it's just what I see and it intrigues me.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast