Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Holy crap are these guys just dumb or being funny ? Telling people if your gonna spend $40k might as well spend $80k cause the bank will give it to ya or buy a 25 year old boat and put a new motor on it . I can't tell if they are down playing tin boats or dishing on people for spending big money on glass boats. But lets be honest buying any boat is a terrible financial decision. BUT, we all love doing it and enjoy using them. So, buy what you like, be proud of what you have, and don't put others down to justify your choices. Me personally I like both tin and glass boats for all their obvious reasons. Damn it, I'm double cursed!

2. #FRB
    LOL I just want something that's comfortable, affordable, reliable, and fishes good. I'm thinking paying off what I have and running it as long as possible and then putting the same money every month into retirement planning. Somewhere in the 2050 range is where I'll be retiring and preparing for that is quickly becoming way more important than having a nice newer boat. As long as what I have isn't tearing up all the time I don't see any reason to punt it. Like I've said many times before on here I'll probably own one more boat in my lifetime and it will be the one I have when I go toes up. My uncle is a painter and master carpenter that specializes in older construction. Some of the people he works for have serious money too. He said one thing he notices a lot with these older folks in really good financial shape is when they do have a boat it's a tin rig of some kind. They just want something to fish out of and aren't looking to impress anyone.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

3. Member
    All I got out of it was they repair more aluminum boats than fiberglass. Both are a hole in the water to pour your money into. With my big glass I had double the motor maintenance cost. The older Opti needed expensive routine maintenance staff. My tandem trailers took four tires and double the bearing maintenance. My last glass boat had a black boot and you had better wipe it down or it showed everything. No telling how many scratches I covered up with a sharpie. My current aluminum has a natural aluminum boat that I pressure wash once a year. They both take pumps, batteries etc... the glass boat would be a lot more comfortable if I fished tournaments. I’m past going out in any weather to fish a tournament.

The last difference I see that I didn’t hear them mention was cost replacing a225 or 250 vs my 115. A long block cost as much as a brand new 115.

There has yet to be a perfect fishing boat built!

4. Member
    PS you know when an aluminum boat cracks. I doubt many people with glass pay to have the boat inspected for blisters under their bunks or have gel spider cracks repaired.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    PS you know when an aluminum boat cracks. I doubt many people with glass pay to have the boat inspected for blisters under their bunks or have gel spider cracks repaired.
    You would think that they would catch that with all of the buffing and waxing they do.
    USMC (Ret) 1988-2008
    2014 Lowe Stinger ST175
    Mercury 75 HP four stroke

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2112 View Post
    You would think that they would catch that with all of the buffing and waxing they do.
    BURN!
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Wouldn't the paint they use on a tin rig be easier to keep shiny over time than the glitter loaded gel on a glass rig?
    Hell no... that paint will chip right up in a few years. My buddy on his second big Lund and he has to vinyl wrap the boat in black with matching graphics bacuse his last black Lund looks like a dart boart after two seasons. So after he spent $65k on his nice lunch it was another $1500 to cover up the paint job. On a glass boat chips don't show up unless they past the gel. Fading is the biggest issue but waxing and covering will help that. Like I said it was just as much work keeping my crestliner looking good as it is keeping my ranger looking purdy. I enjoy it, it's part of the ownership experience for me. Is a dirty Ferrari slower then a sparkling one??? No but I'd rather be cruising in a shinny red Ferrari then a dusty dirty one. Same goes for me in my shinny ranger. And who cares Seriously....

That is another benefit to wiping the boat down you also give the boat a good lookover. Might catch something before it becomes a bigger problem. Thanks for pointing that out makes me even more glad i do it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post

You pay to have your aluminum boat inspected for cracks????
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

SeaArk ZX200DC Mercury 115 FourStroke

11. Member
    I crack check mine every time I fish, if the bilge pump doesn't come on, it aint cracked.

Them guys are like a bean fart, the next day except for the stain in your shorts it's all irrelevant and forgotten.
    Last edited by Crappie Bob; 05-26-2020 at 06:35 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    You pay to have your aluminum boat inspected for cracks????

You normally know if an aluminum boat is cracked from the water intrusion.

I did pay to have my Cougar jacked up and bottom inspected before I sold it. New trailer bunks were 600.00 while they had it up. I've always done aluminum boats myself. They aren't near as big nor near as many. I spent 1400.00 on routine maintenance and taking the steel reeds out and replacing with Boysen about a year before I sold it. The Opti's get expensive as they age. Most just run em till they pop or have tools to check the computer or do things like cleaning the compressor screen, cleaning injectors, etc.... Time will tell on the big 4 strokes. I think they have them pretty solid.

You pay for the bigger boats up front, and in service. That doesn't equal a hull breaking.

13. Banned
    I do agree that they dont compare to glass rigs after owning both. Like not even close. But not everyone needs or can afford the big glass rigs so the tin market has its place contrary to what these guys seem to be hinting that they totally worthless. I will however agree tho that the tin boat prices are getting rediculous tho. When we went to the last boat show around here before all this covid stuff a dealer had some vexus boats there. Is it a nice boat yea it is but the “boat show price” for a 1980 single axle no jack plate with a 150 pro xs ultrex and dual helix 7 graphs on it was $48,500. I didnt know whether to laugh or crap my pants. We got our triton for $51k out the door. That kindof money for a big underpowered aluminum rig. No thanks.
    All boats are way out of line price wise. Most people do not want to pay 60 grand plus to fish.

14. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    All boats are way out of line price wise. Most people do not want to pay 60 grand plus to fish.
    Exactly. We buy what we're comfortable with and price is almost always a factor. What fun is owning a boat when paying for it is a burden? Recreation should never be something that you have to worry about financially but that's just personal opinion.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

15. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I crack check mine every time I fish, if the bilge pump doesn't come on, it aint cracked.

Them guys are like a bean fart, the next day except for the stain in your shorts it's all irrelevant and forgotten.
    I have 2 places on my Tracker that aren't a big deal that would have been a guaranteed trip to the fiberglass shop if it was a glass rig. How is that NOT less worry with ownership, lol.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

16. Member
    I do agree that they dont compare to glass rigs after owning both. Like not even close. But not everyone needs or can afford the big glass rigs so the tin market has its place contrary to what these guys seem to be hinting that they totally worthless. I will however agree tho that the tin boat prices are getting rediculous tho. When we went to the last boat show around here before all this covid stuff a dealer had some vexus boats there. Is it a nice boat yea it is but the “boat show price” for a 1980 single axle no jack plate with a 150 pro xs ultrex and dual helix 7 graphs on it was $48,500. I didnt know whether to laugh or crap my pants. We got our triton for $51k out the door. That kindof money for a big underpowered aluminum rig. No thanks.
    At that price it must have had 2 power poles and some other stuff on it, or you're lying about the price. That boat built on the vexus website is $41k. That's with alot more option that what you just listed and a cover.
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by Siuebass0 View Post
    At that price it must have had 2 power poles and some other stuff on it, or you're lying about the price. That boat built on the vexus website is $41k. That's with alot more option that what you just listed and a cover.

$40,663 to be exact. Manual setback, pair of Helix 7's(MDI and MSI), Ultrex 80# MDI, even threw in a 3 across fold down center seat option AND custom cover.

For $47K you could have a pair of Helix 12's (MDI and MSI), 6" Atlas Hyd JP AND Tandem Trailer ......along with the Ultrex, seating and cover.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Quote Originally Posted by Siuebass0 View Post
    Wish i had taken a pic of the price to post here. Just posted what i seen. Its generally unwise to call someone a liar if you cant prove them wrong since i doubt you were there to see for yourself.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

19. #FRB
    With the price nicer tin bass boats are going for now I think I'm just going to refresh mine with new seats and carpet when the time comes. Hopefully my motor will be solid for at least 1000 hours. At that point I'll probably be too old and beat down to fish. Should hold up fine no harder than I run it and probably put 30-40 hours a year on it.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

20. Member
    I not sure how you say the Vexus is so under powered. Power to weight ratio compared to your Triton is fairly close?
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast