TJNYSNP

2000 203 wiring question

Hello,

I noticed that my 203 has not 1 but two sets of 6A red/black wires that go from rear to the front trolling motor receptacle. Years ago i got rid of the 2 seperate ones going into the receptacle and setup the TM batteries in series and ran the 36v from just 1 pair and the other i have not been using.

Back in the day was the way boats were wired was to run the 12V runs for the 2 batteries of a 24V system up to the front and then join them behind the TM receptacle ?

Just curious.

Thanks!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes back in the olden days trolling motors were able to run 12/24 Volt and the change was done at either the foot peddle or the switch on the bow.

3. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    For some reason, BBC hasn't wanted me to post on this thread. I've been trying to since about 30 min after the OP. The Mountain Home boats and maybe some early Murfreesboro boats were set up for 12/24 trolling motors. Here is how a 1998 was wired. I don't have a set of 2000 schematics, but figure the 98 is the same.

TM Wiring.jpg
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 05-18-2020 at 05:28 PM.

4. Member
    I changed out the 20yr breakers in mine this past weekend. Also removed the extra run to the bow along with about 10ft of extra cable stuffed behind the live well. Cleaned up the battery box pretty good. Not happy with the charger wires and will redress that later.

Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 6.44.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-05-18 at 6.44.39 PM.png
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

5. Member
    I have the same boat .....I just went to Lithium batteries , I don't haul tons of tackle like I did years ago. I load boat based on the seasons without having to haul everything. I have 2 , 100AH batteries in front center box along with about 6 tackle boxes. I have 1 -100Ah in the back battery box with my MK-460pc Minn Kota charger now allowing me to really utilize the back box for tackle or prop holder or extra co-angler storage. I really like the way this open up and allowed me to shift all the weight out the back end of the boat to eliminate backwash . I also have 80ah 1200cca Lithium starting battery..........All works super, Took out 4 group 31 batteries and back with lithiums saving about 160 pounds of total weight. Plus shifting weight forward as the gas tank rear 203's sit low in the back with duel power poles,10" Atlas with 250XS.......boat feels a lot more responsive. Running 25 worked Fury by Croxton turning 5900 rpms @ 76 GPS....Very happy with the Amped Outdoors Lithiums and my Ultrex 112 is super strong with these fresh batteries
    Darrell Shull
    Prosperity, SC
    2021 Charger 210 Elite , 2023 Mercury V8 250 Pro XS

6. TJNYSNP
    thanks everyone for the responses... my lithium batteries arrive tomorrow and that inspired me to triple check that the dual lines are not needed for safety.

I'm going to run an 80Ah battery for my electronics in rear right compartment that is along with my charger bank and my regular lead battery for crank.

Then i'm going to run 3 x 65Ah in the other box for my Fortrexx 110lb thrust TM. Will let everyone know how i make out. Yes, going with 5 batteries for now till i can switch out my lead crank battery for a dedicated lithium cranking battery maybe next year. My engine is new and just didn't want to go new engine with Lithium out of gate just yet as Evinrude does not recommend Lithiums yet officially and i just didn't want to go total tank on Lithium just yet... broke anyway from the other batteries :)