Thread: buyer beware

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I bought a used boat in the same price range as OP from them. It had a Mercury and I was told they fully serviced it. When I took it home and pulled the plug on the gear lube, it was clear it had not been serviced as well as the conditions of the spark plugs. First time out discovered the hot foot was sticking and not retracting also. It was clear the boat was taken on trade, wiped down a little and not much else as far as making sure its fully tuned up despite what I was told.

That being said I'm pretty handy and had it looked over by my normal Merc mechanic and all issues were not a big deal to resolve. However, I would not buy used again from them after this experience. If I was looking for a new Skeeter, their inventory makes it hard to pass up, I would just have motor service done elsewhere. Their sales man is good to deal with and I can't blame their service department on him.

2. Member
    Don’t waste your time, had service work done before from them that was definitely overpriced. Make the drive and go to Wiedas Marine.

3. triton
    I've dealt with Town and have not had any problems, their staff has been good to work with and I liked their owner (Kevin) the first
    time we met.....over the years I've bought five new boats and all the dealers have been much the same when it came to service...
    I dont know what your problem was or is but by the sound of your post you seem to be looking for negatives about your dealer with
    out posting your issues, if I read your post and worked for the dealership you wouldn't get much from me ....

CARL MAYER
    SKEETER FX20 2016
    BARRYVILLE NY 12719

2023 FORD RAPTOR

4. Member
    Would you mind sharing what issues you are having with your 2016? If not, I understand, just curious to see what issues there could be with a 2016 model. Hopefully they aren't too severe, being that it is a relatively new boat.

I have 2 friends that bought new from them over the years....both had issues with the sale along with poor service.
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

6. Member
    I have purchased a Skeeter boat from Towne Marine. I have had some minor issues with the boat and they have always took care of the problem right away without any issues.

7. Member
    I've bought 2 boats there in the last 8years...very pleasant buying experience both times

I cant speak for thier service department as I've never taken one there for service
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

8. Member
    Sorry I am just getting to this, and thanks for all your input....both sides. As most were minor, and yes they should have been caught on the trade in or fixed when I found them. It started with the day I brought it home. As soon as I put it in the garage I noticed the winch pedal stool was severely broke, very surprised it made the ride home. In some of my conversations with Kevin, he said that they did show "good will" and fixed that....they did, took 3 weeks to get it, so I took it off and paid $40 to have it fixed, then swap the new one on when it showed up. I asked about the batteries, was told "that year boat came with Deca's and that there were Exide's in it so they are not original batteries, you should be good". As more and more issues arose I took all 4 batteries out and they had 2016 stickers on them, and they all needed ALOT of water. I ended up putting 4 new agm's in. The bow HDS 9 Gen 3 is bad. No sonar. I have done everything under the sun to ready this, many conversations with Lowrance....when all said and done its no good.

That's the big stuff. The rest is, like I said minor, and I have fixed on my time and my dime. Not what I would expect after spending 45K, paid not financed. Again, I thank you guys for sharing. I hope that Kevin will do the right thing, and the right thing with me would have been to meet me in the middle, but he didn't want to hear it. I hope that his "slide" down hill of his customer service turns around.....but I really hope that this post and others I have put out there save others from getting a BAD buying experience.
    Take care yall and sack em up!
    One more thing if I haven't said it before....I do LOVE this boat! and I am very happy with it!

9. Member
    Thanks for sharing. I think it comes up to expectations on a used boat. Though for certain the pedal stool should have been found and fixed prior to sell.

Batteries are a strange thing. I asked about them when I bought my boat. I looked and saw the age. I had some concerns as I did not want to have to buy 4 batteries on day 1. They told me they would work with me. The batteries made it two years so I felt that was fair on a used boat. Little things OMG expect them. Most developed in year 2 and were simple fixes. I say when you buy a used boat expect to fix a lot of things, mostly small. In year one it was brake pads. In year two is was seals for the steering and batteries. Note the darn batteries made it to October of the second year. Tires, I saw the age when I bought the boat, they were replace in year two.

I bought a used boat I expected it to float, motor to start and trailer to get me where I needed to go. It did that. If I wanted less problems and no little things I would have bought new.

I don't owe TM anything. I don't know them. I have never been back since I bought the boat in March 2018. I'm happy but then again I expected some things on a used boat.

Good luck

10. Member
    better you then me,

Well, I bought a new G3 Sportsman back in Nov 2018. Jeremy gave me a good deal. In the spring of 2019 the floor lifted or buckled. Floor seemed to go down but it was supposedly "documented" by Mike in the service dept and he contacted G3. Now this spring the floor has come loose again. Spoke with Keith who told me that Mike is gone. So, he contacted G3 and they have no record of my boat having this problem. Mike never contacted G3. Anyway, Keith contacted G3 and I am bringing the boat to a dealer close to me in Mass for evaluation. It bothers me that you guys have problems with Towne Marine. I am going to call G3 in the morning to make sure they know about my boat problem.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

12. Member
    Big Al, thats the shit I am talking about. I get buying a used boat, and what you "should" be prepared for. But for 45K I should have had these issues from jump, later on sure, thats on me. So they did you about the same way they did me.....smoke in the old back side. Towne Marine is getting them self's a reputation, and its not a good one. Good luck to u my friend, I hope all works out for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12