Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dogfish_Jones

Strongest Ned Rig head?

I love fishing the Ned Rig, it's my go to lure for catching fish but I have one problem. If I took happen to catch onto a larger bass it seems they straighten out my hook and I loose them. I had a nice size bass this past weekend on one, maybe a good 4 or 5 pounder, I got him close to the boat but when it took another dive down it straighten out my hook. I am using the ZMan shroon heads but looking for something that has more strength.

2. Member
    https://www.nmbacustomtackle.com/pro...e-ned-head-jig

Owner Hook, incredibly strong. You're welcome :)

3. Member
    Outkast Tackle makes a hardy one

I know enough about welding to be suspicious of welding a barb onto a hook, like at least one Z-man Ned head does. I've used some other Ned heads without a problem. The Owner "Blockhead" is probably my favorite. I would also suggest that your drag is too tight, your rod too stiff, or your line is not stretchy enough...very possibly all three.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    https://www.nmbacustomtackle.com/pro...e-ned-head-jig

Owner Hook, incredibly strong. You're welcome :)
    x2. These are excellent.

Most others use a big heavy wire hook or a hook that's way too big to get strength. Not so here - right size, sticky sharp, strong, and keeps 'em pinned. If you straighten these, you must be horsing them on 15+ lb test with no drag whatsoever.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    I'm using ball head jigs and a dab of glue. Call me cheap but it works fine. Small jigheads are going to have small thin wire hooks, at least the ones I use do.

As suggested, check your drag. I use a medium action fast tip spinning rod and 6 or 8 lb test mono. Actually I might get out a med/light rod too.

It's all about playing the fish for me. The fish, especially the heavier ones, may fight hard and if you have a tendency to horse a fish it will usually end bad.

That's just my observations--your mileage may vary.

7. Dogfish_Jones
    I ordered some of the nmbacustom head,thanks.

8. Banned
    Try using your drag. Lol

9. Dogfish_Jones
    I think my drag is a little too tight...I fish my Ned Rigs on a Daiwa Tatula LT spinning combo. This fish did pull some drag out but I’m thinking I do need to lessen it some. Thanks for that tidbit , I’m sure it will help.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Try using your drag. Lol
    +1
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

11. Member
    I've caught several 7 and 8s on the zman power finesse hooks with no problem. The only time I've straightened them out is trying to break off when hung in a stump

12. Member
    You can’t leave the bait on the jig head using z-Man jig heads. The Elaztech bait has enough salt to rust and weaken the hooks pretty quickly. I’ve run into this using Elaztech plastics on other brand jig heads too. Sucks because the plastic is hard to get off.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

13. Member
    www2kjigs,com they have an Xl and a XXL ned head, american made in michigan

I have never had any issues with the Finesse ShroomZ. It is a light-wire hook to fit the technique. The NedLockZ has a stouter 2X hook, and its the right size for TRD's. Unique keeper that works really well. Trying the Pro ShroomZ this year. It's a bigger 2x hook, so I only use it for bigger plastics like the Big TRD.

15. Dogfish_Jones
    I have fished the Ned Rig for going on three years now and consider it my "go to lure", but this year for some odd reasons I have been losing fish at the boat like crazy. At Guntersville in a tournament I know I lost 5 or 6 right at the boat with them just coming off the hook. This past weekend I had a hawg on and it bent my hook out at the boat and lost it. That lost fish cost me being in the money at days end.
    Not counting this year, I could have counted on one hand all together how many fish I've lost on a Ned Rig.
    I am just looking into being better in making sure I bring what I caught into the boat. I will lessen my drag to where it will not be as tight, I can understand that theory even though I've not had that happen as much before. I do allow the fish to play itself out and not try to horse them into the boat real quick. But after losing so many at Guntersville, I did get a little gun shy about doing that because of losing so many right a the boat with them coming off the hook.
    The one last weekend is still haunting me , just looking at it and playing it right until it decided to take another nose dive right at the boat and straightening the hook out.

16. Banned
    Mind sharing how you like to fish a Ned rig as well as sizes??? I’m a newbee at it. I think I’ll hate it regardless, but I do want to try it. Lol

17. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Mind sharing how you like to fish a Ned rig as well as sizes??? I’m a newbee at it. I think I’ll hate it regardless, but I do want to try it. Lol
    I fish the 3.75 Ned Rig and it varies on the weight depending on depth. Right at the moment I am only using the Z-Man shroom heads. I use the weed guarded ones to and it seems to not deter any fish from biting it. Shallow I will use lighter weight heads. I know a lot of guys will pop their rigs up and down, I have found that I get many more bits when I drag it along the bottom. I drag it slow and I am feeling the bottom. Once I drag it a small distance...maybe a couple of feet, I let it sit there for a good 10 seconds before I drag it again.
    Two things happen when a fish bits the lure. 1- you will feel a double tap...tap. I then wait just a few second more reel in any slack and lean into the hook set sideways. Do not left up and hard with a ned rig hook set you will pull it right out of its mouth most times.
    2- When you begging your drag, you feel a soft added weight on the line. Pull just a little more then you will feel the fish move and by then it is already hooked, all you have to do is a easier side sweep hook set and reel it in.
    Now,I have had them hit it on the fall but it is not common for that to happen, at least for me.
    My favorite colors are, green pumpkin, new money and perfect perch. I am getting some good bites on yoga pants also. One of my favorite colors in early spring is the Tackle Warehouse exclusive color, Delta green pumpkin, that caught me a lot of fish in February and early March. I will throw June bug once the water gets above 85 degrees, it seems to do good then.
    By far, this lure has been my favorite to use. I know I can catch a 5 fish limit with this lure...now I may not have the largest bag full but I will catch fish with it.

Gotta love a color called "Yoga Pants", but all I've used so far is Roboworm "Ned Worms". In the Roboworm lineup, "Green Pumpkin Perch" works here, but I think it's the only color I've tried. Caught a couple of 2-ish pound Smallmouth and a 4-ish Largemouth, maybe 25 casts total. Throw it out there and wait for the tap-tap. I think the idea is that the fish hear the small splash, see it falling, and go get it. Not a good search bait, but I think it'd be a great follow-up bait.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I fish the 3.75 Ned Rig and it varies on the weight depending on depth. Right at the moment I am only using the Z-Man shroom heads. I use the weed guarded ones to and it seems to not deter any fish from biting it. Shallow I will use lighter weight heads. I know a lot of guys will pop their rigs up and down, I have found that I get many more bits when I drag it along the bottom. I drag it slow and I am feeling the bottom. Once I drag it a small distance...maybe a couple of feet, I let it sit there for a good 10 seconds before I drag it again.
    Two things happen when a fish bits the lure. 1- you will feel a double tap...tap. I then wait just a few second more reel in any slack and lean into the hook set sideways. Do not left up and hard with a ned rig hook set you will pull it right out of its mouth most times.
    2- When you begging your drag, you feel a soft added weight on the line. Pull just a little more then you will feel the fish move and by then it is already hooked, all you have to do is a easier side sweep hook set and reel it in.
    Now,I have had them hit it on the fall but it is not common for that to happen, at least for me.
    My favorite colors are, green pumpkin, new money and perfect perch. I am getting some good bites on yoga pants also. One of my favorite colors in early spring is the Tackle Warehouse exclusive color, Delta green pumpkin, that caught me a lot of fish in February and early March. I will throw June bug once the water gets above 85 degrees, it seems to do good then.
    By far, this lure has been my favorite to use. I know I can catch a 5 fish limit with this lure...now I may not have the largest bag full but I will catch fish with it.
    Dogfish,
    I live about 20 miles from Ned, so I got an early introduction to this method. I forget what year, early 2000s probably. Anyway, I've had a lot of years doing it. Still learning and seeing how other people are using it now that its mainstream. I may be able to offer a couple suggestions from my experience.
    1. If you can get away without a weedguard, do it. Our KS reservoirs don't have the vegetation that G-Ville does, but some small lakes do. Instead of using a weedguard, we go lighter in weight so the jig rests on the weeds instead of falling into it. I only use a weedguard around wood/brush. If you need to use one, I'd suggest cutting one of the 2 wire strands off flush with the head. If you're primarily dragging though, a lighter weight does make that more difficult.

2. Hooksets. Over the years, I've been far more successful using a straight-up hookset. This tends to put the hook in the roof of the mouth instead of the side. I lose far more fish hooked in the side of the mouth than the top. Might be worth experimenting with.

3. If you're fishing the Big TRD, look at the new Pro ShroomZ. Slightly larger and stronger 2/0 hook, and available with a weedguard. Fits the Big TRD perfectly. I suggested the NedLockZ before, but it doesnt have a weedguard. Of course, NMBA makes a fine head. I'm a bit turned off by the inward curving point of the Owner hook for my upward hooksets, but it may work well if you're setting to the side. That point is more likely to catch the side than the roof, imo.

20. Moderator
    Good information there. Thanks Eyra for posting. I'm still new to fishing the Ned rig and have had a few fish get off at the boat. I've been setting the hook to the side, I'll have to try straight up next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast