Tony C

Adjust shift linkage

Have a Yamaha 2008 250 HPDI series 2.
    when I try to put into reverse, it’s try’s to go in, but won’t go on all the way.

any thoughts before I dive in?

thanks
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

2. Member
    I think the best place to start would be make sure your shift cable isn't loose anywhere. First place I would check is right behind where it comes into the cowling there is a bracket that grabs both shift and throttle linkages in place. I would make sure everything is mounted correctly and the bracket is not broken or popped open. Since it "pulls" to forward it would make sense for it to pull enough to go tight, but when "pushing" into reverse, your cable could flex due to the bracket being wrong in some way. This would not allow full stroke into reverse.

Otherwise to me it is weird that it worked before and now it won't, assuming you haven't unhooked or played with the linkage adjustments. Next would be to get an owners manual and adjust the shift linkage where the cable hooks to the "sled" mechanism. I am not a certified mechanic, just someone who can't stand paying shop fees so I have became a pretty handy mechanic on my '05 HPDI.

3. Tony C
    Thank you sir. Appreciate the help.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250