Lower Unit Case Question

Well....... I went to Douglas lake this weekend with all of the floating debris and apparently became a victim to something that I don't even recall hitting. Motor is a 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke (SN 2B597933)

See the attached pictures.

What is the repair on this, a new case with my internals in it? I plan on turning this into insurance.

It didn't seem to effect performance, but I don't believe it is a good idea to run it in this condition.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2019 Triton 189 TRX
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    6" Rapid Jack Magnum Manual Plate

Bump... Anyone??

2019 Triton 189 TRX

im surprised your prop wasnt damaged
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    im surprised your prop wasnt damaged
    That's the crazy part I don't understand either.... Could this have been a casting flaw???

2019 Triton 189 TRX

5. Member
    I can envision a piece of wood being pinched, stainless prop wins vs cast aluminum plate.

There are prop/skeg repair shops that specialize in that type of work, they can will grind clean and weld on a new piece. I have watched Youtubes of some repairs that look as good as new when finished.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Mr. Weed, what is your suggestion for repair?

2019 Triton 189 TRX

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thank you for your patience- many of us are still working full time (or more) turning wrenches.

Propshaft runout needs to be checked to confirm that the propshaft is, or is not bent.

Engine should be carefully inspected (prop, steering, jackplate, mounting hardware, midsection, etc).

At a MINIMUM, a new replacement HOUSING with new seals and your components built into it (re-shimmed). Keep in mind- the Engine's warranty does not cover any failures due to IMPACT, so the BEST method of repair is a complete gearcase assembly (which is the Warranty-preferred method for gearhousing/case replacements).

That's not to say that a new housing, properly installed is not "acceptable"- but you really need a very careful tech that is well versed in building and shimming gearcases (a dying breed, unfortunately).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thank you for your patience- many of us are still working full time (or more) turning wrenches.

Propshaft runout needs to be checked to confirm that the propshaft is, or is not bent.

Engine should be carefully inspected (prop, steering, jackplate, mounting hardware, midsection, etc).

At a MINIMUM, a new replacement HOUSING with new seals and your components built into it (re-shimmed). Keep in mind- the Engine's warranty does not cover any failures due to IMPACT, so the BEST method of repair is a complete gearcase assembly (which is the Warranty-preferred method for gearhousing/case replacements).

That's not to say that a new housing, properly installed is not "acceptable"- but you really need a very careful tech that is well versed in building and shimming gearcases (a dying breed, unfortunately).
    Understood, I'm sure you're busy!

I'm going to contact insurance.

I might come to Greenville and leave the boat with you for repair. It is just a few hours away.

2019 Triton 189 TRX

9. Member
    You will be in good hands there. I took out my gearcase earlier this year. It took a week or two for the insurance to cut the check. Once the insurance got it sorted on their end Don had it replaced in a day or two.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

10. Member
    Don't think it's a casting flaw I blew up the picture and the metal looks shiny all along the crack from what I can see if you had any imperfections you would see dark spots in the casting

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would concur that it's not a casting flaw. That piece breaking off involved contact with a "significantly dense object".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Yes, I agree after looking at it again in person....

In touch with insurance now. We will see how this goes.

2019 Triton 189 TRX