Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Replace the fuel filter, very easy to do on 2 strokes. Run quickleen in all your gas from now on.

Does it run rough at all at idle? Could it be down a cylinder. Power packs do go bad.
    Runs good at idle. The sound of the motor changes a little when trimming and the voltage on the battery drops quickly when trimming down and then comes back up at idle. More than likely this is just because of the load being put on the battery when trimming down. We will check the fuel filter and possibly replace if need be. I have been running Seafoam in it since I bought it.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

I lost some performance on a 250 running a fuel filter for 2 years. Easy and cheap to replace, and u did replace plugs?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    I would not run Seafoam. I would run Don's cocktail.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=444510
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Replace the fuel filter, very easy to do on 2 strokes. Run quickleen in all your gas from now on.

Does it run rough at all at idle? Could it be down a cylinder. Power packs do go bad.
    I have always used sea foam in all my gas. It runs good at idle. I also just changed the spark plugs and I think it helped. Found some slick water this weekend and got it to 5200 rpms and 54 mph GPS speed.

My prop to pad measurement was 4.25” and from what I have heard about Z7’s is they run best at 3.5” so I have moved my motor up with my jack plate to have 3.5” prop to pad. We will see how it runs that way the next time I take it out.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

5. Member
    Just wanted to give a little update.

My prop to pad measurement was 4.25”. I raised the motor to be 3.5” prop to pad measurement. I also changed the spark plugs. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet.

I have went out and tested it a couple times and it is now running 5200 rpms at 53-54 consistently with two people. The water pressure is still running right around 13 psi as it was before. Hole shot is acceptable. After raising the motor, there is definitely more bow lift.

I looked at the throttle linkage and it appears it is set to reach full throttle.

Anybody have any other thoughts on what I could do to try to get more rpms? My next thought is 22-23p tempest prop but still trying to find someone that would let me try one out before I spend a bunch of money on a prop.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

6. Member
    My 150 4 stroke Z18 (2018) came with a 22 prop. It will run 60 MPH with full fuel and two people. Just FYI.
    I would check with a boat store or prop reconditioning business for access to a used prop. Kinda like tool rental where you leave some cash or card to insure the return.
    Just a couple of thoughts.
    Good luck.
    Vic
    Preparedness plus Opportunity = Luck

Each pitch u drop will get you approx 200 rpms.

I'd finish the fuel filter replacement (Tool + filter s/b <$20), seems like your getting more RPMS now. Buy and run mercury quickleen through a tank.

Do this before you do anything else. I was loosing about 200 RPMs on a 250 Optimax due to a fuel filter.

Lift could be your issue as well. So that could be prop, load or potentially hook.
    Last edited by BMCD; 05-27-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12